Chapter Nine: The Slip

June 12th, 2015

Lindsay/Halstead Rehearsal Dinner

Chicago, IL.

6:00 PM CST

"Hey, Lindsay! I know this is a super touchy subject but are you at all interested in calling Bunny to tell her you're getting married tomorrow?" Trudy asked handing Erin a drink from the bar.

"No, I haven't spoken to my mom in years, I severed ties years ago when she lied about who my dad was. I can't have her be a part of my future with Jay." Erin said before taking a sip of her wine.

"I understand that, but who are you going to have walk you down the isle?" Trudy asked.

"I've decided to walk down the isle alone. I have no siblings and no clue who my dad is, so it just makes sense, you know?" Erin said before clearing her throat.

"Yes, I can see that, but just think about having someone walk you down the isle, okay? I know I regretted not asking anyone. Regardless, I'm so happy for you guys, I can't wait for tomorrow. I hope you live in the moment." Trudy said before giving Erin a one-arm hug.

"Thank you, Trudy! We are so grateful you are here to celebrate with us." Erin said after letting go.

"I'll take into consideration your suggestion, I do appreciate your concern." Erin said when Trudy started walking away.

Erin walks over to the main table where Jay is standing.

"Hey, babe, everything alright?" Jay said as Erin walked up.

"Yeah, everything great.' Erin said rubbing his back. 'Trudy just asked me to consider having someone walk me down the isle. Part of me wants to ask someone, but part of me doesn't."

"Why do you say that?" Jay questioned.

"I always had in my mind that by the time I was engaged, I'd know who my dad was and we'd have this relationship that I would feel comfortable asking him. And now, I have nothing to show for it and I'll be walking myself down the isle in front of our family and friends with no one by my side until the alter." Erin tried to explain, before tears fell from her eyes, having no luck.

"So if you don't want to walk down the aisle by yourself, think of someone who would be a good fit to walk you down the aisle in place of your non-existent father. I know I can think of two people who have meant the world to you in the short amount of time that you joined the force." Jay said handing Erin a kleenex.

"Yeah, and who might they be?" Erin said laughing through tears.

"I don't know, Trudy and Voight? They know you better than anyone and have treated you like family since day one; while everyone else gave you a hard time, including me." Jay laughed.

"You have to remember, Trudy is the queen of nicknames, she too made fun of me." Erin jokingly punched his arm.

"Yes, of course, she made fun of you, but it was more in a mother-daughter way, than anything else. And trust me, Trudy and Voight, act more like parents around you, than Bunny and your biological father ever will." Jay said reassuringly.

"Okay, I see your point. Thanks for the pep talk, I needed it. I love you, babe!" Erin said before kissing his cheek.

"I love you, too, and there will be more pep talks where that came from." Jay smiled.

Erin walks over by Voight, links arms and excuses him from his conversation with Al. With arms linked, they excuse Trudy from talking with Mouch. When they get a safe distance away, Erin takes hold of their hands, nervous.