Chapter Six: More Than One Day

Jay Halstead and Erin Lindsay

April 10th, 2015

Hotel near the airport

Phoenix, AZ.

 11:30 AM

Jay's Perspective

Five days ago, Erin and I decided we should travel to Arizona to meet Will and see how he was doing since I saw him last. We landed in Phoenix a half hour ago, arrived at the hotel and unpacked our suitcases. She left the main room to freshen-up, walked into the bathroom, abruptly turned around; peeking her head out of the door, managing to glance around the wall in my direction. "I love you, James." Erin said wholeheartedly. "I love you too, babe. More than words can express." I said. She eventually walked the rest of the way into the bathroom, closing the door behind her. Once I heard the door click shut, I bent down to unzip my suitcase lifting the leather jacket she loved off of the bottom. It was the first piece of clothing I had put in my suitcase for fear she may go snooping to see what kinds of clothes I was planning to bring, like she was known to do while packing for our past trips. I put my jacket on, one arm at a time starting with my left; when my right hand went through the sleeve I put my hand in the pocket. Once my wrist went through the pocket my palm nervously surrounded a small box, and I zoned out. I love her, and maybe a small part of me always knew I would I thought to myselfI cleared my throat as I heard the door creak open,  dropping the firm grip I had on the box inside my pocket, wiping the sweat from my neck with my free hand as she walked into the room. "Ready to go, babe? I'm glad you chose to bring that with." She said putting her left around around me. "Why wouldn't I? I knew it was always your favorite." I said leaning down to kiss her. Before we left the room I grabbed my wallet that I left on the bed, placing it in my pants pocket and put my arm around her. She doesn't suspect a thing. I can't wait to see her reaction once she realizes the point of our trip is something more than just a visit. I thought to myself as we walked down the hallway.

Erin's Perspective

Town Square

12:00 PM

Jay and I made our way to the center of the town square, waiting for his brother Will. I had seen pictures of him that Jay had around the house, when they were younger versions of themselves. So I had no idea what he could  have looked like years later.  Glancing at our surroundings we looked for him as Jay and I were arm and arm. All I saw were strangers who were probably locals.

"Have you seen him yet, babe?" I said fidgeting with the zipper of my jacket that hung unzipped.

"Yep! I see him." Jay said as he waved down a tall figure across the square. 

As Will walked toward us I was able to pick out the siblings resemblance. 

"Hey, man! How are you?" Jay said hugging his younger brother. 

"I'm doing well, how are you?" Will said tapping Jay's shoulder.

"I'm better now. Thanks for asking." Jay said happily.

"You two seem cold,' Will said 'let me get you some coffee." 

Will left us as a cold breeze swept over the square. I stepped closer to Jay as he put his arms around me, pulling me in so that no space was left between us and kissed the top of my head. I planned to huddled like this until Will made his way back to us with our coffees but he never did.

Jay rubbed my back, cleared his throat, and talked at a low whisper "We've known each other for six years now, became partners a year later, and I would not have changed a thing; not a single moment we have shared together or a chance to work by your side. Your confidence made we aware that you could hold your own, your strength made me fall in love with you; your humor was just an added bonus and your laugh is contagious." 

I was caught off guard as I listened to what Jay was saying. I took a step back to look up at him.

"Babe, what's going on?" I said as he took a step back to kneel on his right knee not letting go of my hands.

 "Erin Lindsay,' he said letting go of my right hand, reaching into his pocket; as he took out a small box from his pocket I began to tear up and started to shake excitedly. 'Maybe one day, was just the beginning of our relationship, Navy Pier was the start of us and the days after made me realize that I love you and that maybe a small part of me always knew I would. Will you marry me and create even more memories together?" He said as he opened the small box where a gleaming diamond ring lay in the center of the fabric.

"Yes, love!' I said with tears streaming down my cheeks and my legs shaking, I bent down to his level. I would marry you in a heartbeat.' I said holding his chin. 'I love you more than words can express." I put my arms around his neck as he kissed me; his left hand pulling me up to my feet. 

"I should place this on her hand at some point." Jay said laughing between kisses.

"Yes, you should.' I laughed taking a step back, 'Now, seems like a good point." 

As Jay placed the ring on my left hand, I look around the square for Will and our coffees, but he was not there and no longer were the strangers we walked over with or stood by when we got here. Instead, every person I glanced at was a familiar face. There were relatives, family friends, colleagues, and newly extended family members. Hank Voight was the first to walk over to us. 

"Congratulations, kids! Today never seemed so perfect. I'm proud of you both and I'm happy to be a part of your future together." Hank said hugging both Jay and Erin.

"Thanks Dad, we love you."  The couple said in unison. 

Jay's mother walked up to the couple as Hank walked away.

"Hi Sweetie, I'm so happy for you. I knew that when I saw you both together for the first time, this may one day be a possibility. I'm so proud of you both, my babies are growing up so fast." Jay's mother said before she hugged them individually.

"Hey Brother!' Will said walking back up to Erin and Jay from the opposite side of the square. "You guys still want your coffees?" Will said with a laugh.

"Yes, please!" said Jay as the couple laughed together. "I thought you deserted us." Erin said.