Chapter Eight: A Simple Night Away

May 2nd, 2015
Outside of Molly's Irish Pub
Chicago, IL.
6:00 PM

Erin and Jay pulled up alongside Molly's Irish Pub on the north side of Chicago. It's the local hangout for Firehouse 51 and District 21's Intelligence Unit to talk after a shift and where they host an occasional party. Jay parked the car along the sidewalk and got out. He opened Erin's door to help her out, as she was blindfolded. They planned this date night a couple months ago to finalize the seating chart and additional party favors for their wedding in a month. Erin asked Jay to surprise her with the location, hence the blindfold.

"We're here,' Jay said helping her up onto the sidewalk, 'I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the location." He said while untying the blindfold.

"Oh my gosh! I hoped we were coming here." Erin said, once she opened her eyes.

"I thought you'd enjoy a change of scenery." Jay laughed, throwing the bandana onto the dashboard.

"Yes, I am so glad you brought me somewhere new." Erin laughed, taking Jay's hand in hers before turning the corner.

"What the heck,' Erin said, pointing to the sign in the window. 'they are never closed for a private party on a Saturday night. This was supposed to be a simple night away from responsibility, so we could finalize things for the wedding." Erin was close to tears.

"Babe, it's okay.' Jay said rubbing her shoulders. 'Let's at least ask if they can set a table aside for us in the back room or something." Jay said, taking her hand and walking her inside.

"Yeah, lets do th–SURPRISE!–what on earth is this?" Erin asked, questioningly.

"It's your surprise couples shower!" Kim Burgess screamed, at the top of her lungs as she enveloped Erin in a hug from behind.

Erin lost it, started laughing, tears from laughter were running down her face.

"After all, we bridesmaids and groomsmen are hosting this shindig because we love you both." Kim said, as she let go of the hug, handing both Erin and Jay a glass of champagne.

"Since this "shindig" is obviously happening without my consent, I think a well overdue toast is in order." Erin laughed, raising her glass before making her way through the bar.

"To the sister we've lost but never forgot, I wish to make a toast in honor of her tonight, for I know she wouldn't miss a single ounce of this magical year. So on that note, Jay and I hope to make a permanent and lasting adjustment to our bridal party, a seat at our table and a spot in the pew for a lady this family has never gone a day without thinking about, Miss Leslie Shay."

Over the roar and clinking of glasses, Kelly Severide yelled "To Leslie Shay!" his left arm was around Gabriela Dawson's waist. Erin looked in Kelly's direction and raised her glass again, with a nod in his direction, "To Leslie Shay!" she and Gabby said in unison. As Kelly wiped tears off of his chin, the entire floor yelled, "We miss you, Shay!"