Chapter 4 - Ariana

(Ariana POV)

A pair of green eyes counted the fast-passing tree from the carriage. She wasn't aware of how many trees she counted because her mind was somewhere else.

She was nervous, nervous to the point she was going to puke on her new beautiful pink ball gown her father bought for her not so long ago for this special occasion. She had butterflies fluttering in her stomach begging to be let out. Her face was pale from the thought of humiliating herself in front of the kingdoms of Alphyria and the crown prince whom she loved dearly.

The thought of humiliation reminded her of her half-sister.

She scrunched her skirt at the thought of that bitch of a sister. Diana.

Ariana tried to be a nice little sister to her but Diana decided otherwise. The number of times she was humiliated by her. The times Diana would pour hot tea on her gown at every tea party they were invited to. Ariana would smile it off and proclaim it as an accident but deep inside she wanted to throw the cup at Diana's beautiful face and disable her nose.

The harmful pranks she pulled hurt her pride and self-esteem. Her father had to take her to the doctors a couple of times to get her health checked. Diana was forbidden from seeing or going near her and if she did would feel the wrath of her father.

She was glad her father set the rule upon her, she didn't have to deal with her anymore however deep inside she wished her arrogance concluded on the annulment of her engagement with the crown prince who was soon to be her brother-in-law. Something her father has been trying to do ever since Ariana was born.

Ariana was jealous of her older sister who was betrothed to Damon since the day she came to this world.

Even though she knew she could never get noticed by the cold prince who was rumoured to be ruthless with his ways of war, she was glad that he didn't like her sister one bit because she wouldn't be able to stand in the same room with the Prince and her sister showing affection towards each other. It would really hurt her.

Yet something else lingered in her mind.

When she left the mansion to enter the carriage, she spotted Diana's carriage in the far corner of the gate. It seemed that Diana had not left yet, which was out of the ordinary. Ariana knew how obsessed her sister was about Damon. She would go hours early just to see him but to be kicked out of the palace until the ball began.

So why was her carriage still here? What is she planning to do now to humiliate the Glacies family now? She wondered.

"Ariana dear, you seem pale. Are you feeling alright? If your sick we can go back home and get you checked up" her thoughts were interrupted by her mother's worried tone.

Ariana looked at her mother. She was beautiful, with long brown hair tied into a high bun with glittering emerald gems pinned in her hair resembling her green eyes, her white milky skin glowed from the setting sun with her plump red lips. No wonder her father loved her mother.

But then again, her beauty can never reach the level of the former Duchess of Aureum. Mariana Glacies of Isvand.

She heard stories of the 'Ice Goddess' of Isvand, Mariana Lancaster. She was rumoured to be the most compassionate woman of Alphyria with a heart made of gold.

Ariana once saw a painting of her in the attic when she hid from her sister. Her eyes could not look away from the kind looking woman in the portrait staring right back at her with a beautiful kind smile.

Her long silver hair dangling down her head with a blue floral crystal combed behind, white skin like the snow and red lips to show off her icy blue eyes. She was the most beautiful woman Ariana had ever laid eyes on. But something brought her to realisation, this beauty resembled of her sister Diana making Ariana envy her for possessing such beauty.

"Daughter what are you thinking right now to ignore your mother's words" a deep but cold voice snapped Ariana back to reality. She stared into her father's amber eyes ones similar to the golden eyes of the royal family of Aureum.

"I'm sorry father and mother I'm just nervous."

"It's alright dear, we know how much you love the crown prince to spend all week to find him a perfect gift" her mother Alice, comforted her with her sweet words.

"What if he doesn't like it? what if he throws it away in front of the whole gala" she bit her nail for comfort. She was terrified of the prince's cold glare that was rumoured to pierce the hearts of anyone who stared at it for too long.

She herself never experienced the cold demonic glare however she witnessed it first hand when her sister raged at a girl who went near him at the Stella Ball of the fourth year, 4 years ago. She shivered at the memory.

Alice cupped her daughters face and stared deep into her green eyes. "My daughter is the kindest and beautiful lady in the whole 5 human kingdoms of Alphyria, Prince Damon would never throw away a gift from the Lady of Glacies"

A smile of joy appeared on her face. "thank you, mother,". Even if Diana had beauty to capture the hearts of men or have the Prince for herself, there is something she will never receive no matter how many years she waits. Diana will never receive the love of a mother Ariana receives.

"Ariana, I have something to discuss with you before we arrive at the palace"