Chapter 28 - Homura

Finally finished bandaging the fox's paw, I plopped myself on the grass and leaned against a tree. I needed a rest, a rest from running, a rest from talking foxes and this world.

I looked up above myself, watching how the soft blobs of clouds slowly moving across the crystal blue sky, birds flying freely without a care in the world.

"I wonder if I ever fly freely like that?"

"Mmm" the fox groaned, fluttering his eyes open to reveal the honey amber eyes of his. His head shot up the moment his eyes opened. His ears perched up like a prey listening for any sound from the predator hiding away. "Am I in animal heaven?"

"Oh, that would be nice" I answered him. He span his head quickly towards where I was. "You" he snarled at me, narrowing his beady little amber eyes of his.

"Yo" I answered lazily. He stood up unaware of his injured leg. "I have a bone-" he winced when he took a step of his injured front paw. "Take it easy mate. We don't want that paw to get even more severe" I explained getting up from my spot and approached the limping fox.

"You human what did you do to my paw? What's this vile thing you wrapped around my paw?" he wiggled his paw, examining the brown cloth I ripped from the cloak.

"I patched you up, so it doesn't get infected. At least you can say thank you" I said crossing my hands.

He eyed me up and down suspiciously. "Hmph, like I will ever be gratitude to a human" he refused, turning his little head to the side, and pointing his snout in the air. I sneered at his rude manners.

"You stinky fox" I crossed my hands and hissed in disgust. 'Whenever I patched up an injured animal they would always stick by my side and want me to pat them but this fox, this fox is just so ungrateful and it's pissing me off'.

"Stinky? STINKY!" he growled. "I smell like the fresh grass of the forest, the spring leaves of the trees" he blabbered so confidently about himself. "While you" he sneered at me and then sniff the air. "Smell like a pile of stinky bird poop rolled in mud" he continued.

I felt like rocks just toppled over my head. 'Did this dog just sniff me and say I stink?'.

"...."

My blood boiled and my brow twitched. I wanted to drop kick this fox for calling me stinky. Taking a deep breath to calm myself, I didn't want to hurt an animal even if they are being self-absorbed.

"Your lucky to be a fox or else I would have cut your tongue and stuck it on that tree for every living being to see when they pass by" I snared at him.

"And lucky I am" he talked back to me with a smirk on his face proudly lifting his tail in the air.

"You're such a snobby fox" I looked at him with a monotone expression. "Hmph I'm not snobby. I just accept the beautiful creature I am unlike some humans who go far and wide to look like whatever you humans describe as beautiful".

I didn't say anything. He was right though that I can't argue with.

I sighed plopping myself in front of him, crossing my legs and my eyes.

"I think we got in the wrong foot..." I looked at down at his paws, I rose an eyebrow "Paw,"

He observed me, looking for any sign of danger. "My name is Artemis Ray" I kindly introduced myself. Saying my real name to a fox doesn't matter, he can't talk to humans anyway, so he has no way of revealing it to anyone.

He squinted his eyes at me, still being suspicious. "I will never say my magnificent name gifted from my late mother to a pathetic human" he pointed his pointy snout in the air again.

Seriously what is with this fox? I'm trying to be nice to him, but he is being a snobby princess with me.

Still in the same position but with his eyes closed, I looked dead straight in his eyes. He opened them to look at me but closed it again. 'This fox. Does he really think he can fool me?'

"You don't want to say it or you don't have a name" saying that his eyes shot open in getting caught by lying.

"N-no I have a name. I just don't want to say it to you" he explained but I could tell by his voice he was lying.

"I'm not someone you can easily fool, fox" I told him. "So tell me, do you really have a name" I stared at him, his golden orange fur glittering beautiful under the sun, those glimmering honey amber eyes were so beautiful. He wasn't kidding about being beautiful and loving himself for it. I really wanted to touch his fur but I shook the thought away.

"I know I'm the most beautiful fox you have ever seen." He poured. "No" I said lazily.

He was a little annoyed with my answer. "Lier, I can tell by those eyes that you really want to touch my fur" he explained as he plopped himself on the grass in front of me.

I sighed. "Guess we both lied about something".

His eyes showed a little guilt as he looked into mines. "I don't have a name so what. My mother failed to give me one" his voice saddened a little.

"Why is that" I asked a little curious. He laid down, resting his head on his none injured leg.

"When a fox is born, there mothers gift there cubs a name" his eyes were staring into the distance like he was looking for something.

He looked pitiful under that snobby personality of his. "All my siblings got gifted names except for me".

"Did your mother, not want you?" I asked feeling my throat block. Mothers tend to sometimes shun there kids if they don't like them or if they are injured. It really breaks my heart seeing a baby animal being left behind by their own mothers. I felt tears crawling in the corners of my eyes.

I killed hundreds of people, saved hundreds but none ever made me cry but when it comes to animals who have human tongue to talk back it makes me weak.

"No" he answered, his eyes staring back into mines but this time there was hatred taking over and he started to bare his fangs. "Because you greedy humans took what belonged to me".

"I'm sorry about what my kind do to you innocent animals." I said looking away in guilt. "it's ok if you don't forgive, I understand. I wouldn't either" I smiled at the innocent creature that lay on the grass being victim of human activities.

"But let me return the little special thing that was taken from you". I stretched out my hand to pat his head, he growled at me warning me to back off, but I ignored him. Placing my palm on his soft blazing orange fur, feeling the softness brush against my palm, I smiled.

"Homura"