Chapter 1

(1394 words)

Scar combed his fingers through his brown hair as he eyed the outfit in the mirror propped against the wall.

"I don't think a purple suit jacket and yellow pants are a very good combination." He turned to Bdubs, who was sitting on a nearby chair, chin on his fist, as if in thought.

"Ok, it seemed like a good idea on paper, but you're right, those don't look good together."

Scar sighed and turned back around to adjust the red bowtie.

"Leave it to me to try on an outfit at the last possible moment, only to find out I look like a cartoon character."

"If it makes you feel better, I've seen you in weirder outfits. Like the start of the season, when you were running around the jungle in that wizard get-up with no pants."

Scar couldn't help but chuckle at his friend's remark.

"I told you, I lost the pants to it, and none of my others looked good."

"Well, just think, you've gone from losing your clothes to the mayor of the Shopping District! How does it feel?"

"I feel like I might throw up."

"Don't talk like that, you'll be fine!"

"But what if I mess up?" He met Bdubs' dark eyes with his own. "What if I don't know what to do or say? What if I fail and let someone down?"

"Sure, you'll fail."

"Gee, thanks, Bdubs..."

"But so does everyone. Failure is what makes us human, it's a sign that you're trying. The thing is to not let it get to you. Tango, Impulse, and I narrowly escape blowing ourselves up all the time due to avoidable mistakes. But do we let that stop us? Never!"

"You really should be more careful; someone could get seriously hurt."

"Regardless. You're being sworn in as mayor today, you should be excited! Besides, it's not like you're in charge of all of Hermitcraft. Now come on, the ceremony is in an hour, we should get going."

"I may need a few more minutes, but you go on ahead; I'll be right behind you."

Bdubs backed towards the door, his hand to his brow in a joking salute, before tripping over a shulker box lying on the floor, its contents spilling out.

"It's okay, I got it." Scar watched as Bdubs scrambled to his feet and dusted himself off.

"Well, see you there, soon-to-be-Mayor Scar!" He strapped on his elytra and jumped out the door of the snail-shaped house.

Scar heard the snap of rockets, and waited until he knew the man had flown off before turning to the items scattered on the floor.

It was nothing a little magic couldn't fix.

His hands glowed a faint green color, similar to his eyes, as piles of sand and sticks began glowing the same shade and floated back into the shulker box.

The wizard stood up and looked down at his hands with a small frown, the glow fading.

"From now on," he told himself, "no more magic. You're a leader now, you don't have time for this nonsense."

He shut the door of the snail behind him and launched himself into the sky. Air wooshed under the elytra's wings as he soared above the fantasy village. Turning his body, he changed course for the Shopping District.

<~~~>

Grian's sneakers thudded against concrete as he ran down the only solid road in the Shopping District. He skidded to a halt, almost crashing into Mumbo, who jumped back in alarm.