Chapter 7

(Warnings: a bit of swearing, violence, dead animal)

(2541 words)

When Etho received the message from Scar, accepting his request, he leaned his head against the wood and dirt wall, letting out a small sigh of relief.

He hadn't left the headquarters since he dropped in. Grian's demeanor had quickly changed after the incident with the lantern. He seemed distrustful of Etho, as if the man had somehow tricked him.

Whatever the reason, Etho hadn't been allowed to leave. When the other resistance members left, XB had stayed behind to make sure Etho didn't go anywhere.

Now Ren was here. While XB had been unusually quiet and unfriendly, Ren was pretty much his usual self. He and Etho talked a bit, though he refused to answer any of Etho's questions about the resistance or mycelium. Etho did, however, learn that the mooshroom's name was Abigail. He couldn't understand why some of the resistance members seemed to avoid her, she was just a sweet calf who couldn't hurt anyone if she wanted to.

Etho looked up. Ren wasn't paying any attention to him, instead reading a book at the table.

This is ridiculous, Etho thought, standing up slowly. They couldn't keep him there forever, he could just leave.

"What do you think you're doing?" Ren set down his book, noticing Etho walk past him.

"I'm going to get some fresh air, I've been underground for who knows how long."

"No you're not."

Etho didn't even bother turning to face Ren. "Really?" he scoffed. "And who's gonna stop me?"

He barely made it three more steps before a dull blow to the back of his head, followed by darkness.

<~~~>

Scar's heart pounded but he remained frozen, hardly breathing, as if by not moving he could avoid whatever was about to happen.

No no no. Shit, this is bad.

"Scar, what..." Xisuma stood slowly. "What was that?"

Scar couldn't form a response. He felt hot and cold. His hands were shaking violently, and his vision felt fuzzy.

"Scar?"

"It's magic," he whispered, half hoping Xisuma hadn't heard it. But he had, the admin's eyes widening with surprise.

"Magic," Xisuma repeated. "You mean.. Wizard magic?"

Scar, just nodded. Despite the crushing dread, he felt ever so slightly relieved, now that Xisuma knew. It was as if a weight had finally been lifted from him.

"Wow, I... never would have guessed."

The following silence confused the wizard. Xisuma wasn't furious. He didn't even seem angry. He just stood, his expression revealing nothing, as if he were still processing the information. Something seemed to flash across the admin's eyes for a brief moment. Sadness?

"You're not mad?" The question seemed to hang in the air before breaking Xisuma from his trance, making him look more confused than before.

"Mad? Scar, why would I be mad?"

"Wh- Is this a joke?" Scar nearly laughed in nervous disbelief. "You do get it, right? I'm a wizard. I thought you hated wizards?"

Xisuma shook his head. "I don't hate all wizards, Scar. Sure, I've had... bad experiences with some, but the same goes for regular people. And I certainly don't hate you." He stepped forward, placing his hands on Scar's shoulders. A simple gesture, which nearly brought him to tears. "You're a good man, Scar. This doesn't change that at all."