Chapter 8

Merry Christmas, I'm actually updating!

(Warnings: various disturbing symptoms, parasitism, violence, blood, death[including an animal])

(2196 words)

Grian hadn't responded in nearly a day. Mumbo wasn't too concerned the day before. And why should he be? He had messaged Grian to see if he wanted to hang out. First Grian had declined, saying he was busy, then later that he was burnt out and tired, and maybe some other time. But today, he hadn't responded to any of Mumbo's messages.

At first, Mumbo thought maybe he was still asleep, or hadn't checked. But as the day went on, it became more worrying. It wasn't like Grian to just disappear like that. Mumbo had tried checking at his base, but there was no answer when he knocked.

Now the sun was setting in the sky as he made his way through the jungle to his starter base.

He had asked some of the other Hermits if they had seen Grian, but it seemed no one had in the past couple of days. He tried not to sound worried, in case it was nothing.

Eventually, he reached the hobbit hole and opened some of the chests, knowing exactly what he was looking for. He pulled out a minecart, some paper, and a pen.

Grian wasn't answering his communicator, or the door. But what if Mumbo sent something through the messaging system between their starter bases? It was a long shot, but it couldn't hurt to try.

He broke the dirt behind his Nether portal so he could access the rail tracks. Writing a quick note, he put a minecart on the track and placed the paper in it, placing a rock on top so it wouldn't get blown away. He gave the minecart a push and watched as it rolled down the tunnel.

<~~~>

Grian's communicator no longer buzzed with new messages. Good, it... it was better that way. He had given up on lame excuses a while ago. He knew it was only a matter of time before someone caught on, and he hated how he could almost feel his friends' disappointment every time he turned down their offers to meet up.

So, now he was ghosting everyone. Maybe if he didn't interact for long enough, they'd think about him less, and wouldn't be as worried about his sudden reclusiveness. But of course, it wouldn't work like that. He knew it wouldn't. Which was why he now spent all his time in his starter base. If anyone were to go looking for him, they'd be less likely to check there.

He didn't want to hide from his friends, of course. But he knew he couldn't go out and act like everything was fine when it wasn't.

For several days, he told himself it was just a cold. He wished it was just a cold. But a cold doesn't turn your eyes gray. A cold doesn't cause your limbs to freeze up or act on their own. A cold doesn't make you think you're going insane, hearing voices, feeling other people's presence.

He fought back a wave of nausea as he stood shirtless in front of a mirror on the wall. His right side and shoulder had what looked to be veins covering them, but they looked like lichen, dark purple and white.He could feel them just under his skin; a sick, crawling feeling. And from his shoulder grew several small shelf mushrooms.

A cold sure as hell doesn't do that.

He shuddered, suddenly cold, and threw his jumper back on. Though it did little to warm him, at least he didn't have to see that horrible fungus.

There had to be something he could do about this. Maybe... maybe I could find someone to help?

The thought had barely gone through his mind before he felt lightheaded and heard that stupid voice.