Seperation Anxiety

❝ I'm only happy when it rains

I'm only happy when it rains

I'm only happy when it's complicated

And though I know you can't appreciate it

I'm only happy when it rains

Calloused fingers drummed against the steering wheel of the rusty, old truck Jo borrowed from her dad as she hummed quietly to the music. The song played through the muffled sound system, filling the silence with an accompaniment of the soft pitter-pattering of rain droplets thudding against the roof of the old truck.

It was just like any other day on the La Push Reservation. Cold, dark and wet. Ominous dark rain clouds shrouded the lands of La Push and casted a dreary gloom upon both the reservation and the nearby town of Forks. The roads were still slick and wet from the heavy rains of the previous night, even hours after it had stopped. It was the usual weather for this area of Washington.

Jo used to love this setting. But now, the eerie weather and emo music just reminded her of the inevitable.

In approximately two days, Harper Stonewall, Jo's best and closest friend in the entire world - the literal light of her life - would be leaving. She'd be packing her bags and shipping off to live with her mother in the city of dreams: New York. Now, Jo would just have to find a way to enjoy the depressing weather and emo mixtapes all by herself.

"Oh, stop pouting!" Harper scolded later that day during their lunch break, "Come on, Jojo, I haven't even left yet!"

Jo huffed, crossing her arms over her chest and rolling her eyes.

"Yeah but that doesn't change the fact that you are leaving," Jo argued stubbornly.

Despite what it looks like, Jo wasn't actually that upset about Harper's eventual departure. She knew her best friend was excited to finally be able to leave the small town, or the "small area of hell" as Harper would say. All her life, she'd dreamed of living in a city like New York and now, her wish was coming true, and Jo was nothing but happy for her.

Well... okay maybe she was about 90% happy for Harper. I mean, this is her best - and only - friend we're talking about here.

Consider the situation: Johara Black, a fifteen year old girl with a minor nicotine addiction, a grand total of two friends - Harper Stonewall and Harper's Grandmother, Maggie Stonewall - and a neglectful family, is about to lose one of the only people she held truly close to her heart.

Yeah, not such a great combo. So, all in all, I'd say Jo was taking the whole "Harper-Moving-Away" thing pretty well.

"Okay, you need to lighten up. It's my last few days, let's at least try to enjoy them?" Harper pleaded.