Heat of The Moment

❝ I wanna hold you when I'm not supposed to

I wanna hold you when I'm not supposed to

When I'm lying close to someone else

You're stuck in my head and I can't get you out of it

If I could do it all again

I know I'd go back to you 

𓆩⛥𓆪

"Hi, Mom. It's me."

In the heart of the small, rain-drenched town, the cemetery lay as a silent witness to time's passage, filled with the many generations that came before Johara.

The rain painted a melancholic portrait, shrouding the gravestones in a glistening sheen. Rows of weathered markers stood stoically amidst the lush greenery, their inscriptions whispering tales of lives once vibrant.

The mist wove through the gnarled trees, creating an ethereal veil that softened the edges of sorrow, the air holding a hushed reverence that was punctuated only by the rhythmic patter of rain upon the ground. The ambiance exuded both a solemn beauty and a poignant reminder of the transient nature of existence — how a person could be right there beside you one moment and gone the next.

Johara stood in front of her mother's grave, raindrops mingling with the tears on her cheeks as she tightly clutched a bouquet of lilies (her mom's favourite) in her hands, eyes darting to the sides, travelling over all the rows and rows of withering flowers.

"I know it's been a while but, in my defence, you're dead so... that makes it kinda hard to keep in touch," Jo joked, laughing awkwardly, "No offence, of course."

Jo could just picture her mother's face — with her high-set cheekbones that both Jacob and Johara had inherited, her round soulful eyes that their older sisters had been blessed with, her extremely expressive face and her striking, captivating features that remarkably resembled Jo's own face — with amusement in the smile gracing her lips and the sparkle in her eyes. She always did love Jo's sarcastic sense of humour.

"Well, anyway, I guess I'm here because I miss you. Obviously. But... things have been kinda tough lately," she admitted, laying the lilies at the base of her mom's headstone and sitting down on the damp grass, "And you always seemed to know the answer to everything, you know?"

Jo kept her head down, eyes glued to her hands as she pulled out pieces of grass and twirled them around her fingers. Sometimes looking at that headstone was just a bit too much for her.

"I, uh, I met a boy," she sniffled with a sad smile that fought against a deep frown and tears to make its way onto her face, "And I think I really liked him but... long story short, it didn't go well. Harper says that I'm just being dramatic but I know I fucked it up... just like I fuck everything up."