Love's Farewell

❝ Where are you now?

Where are you now?

Was it all in my fantasy?

Where are you now?

Were you only imaginary?

𓆩⛥𓆪

Whoever said that love's farewell was all sweet and tender was an absolute dickhead that had never been broken up with. Because from what Jo was witnessing, she could conclude that love's farewell brought nothing but heart-wrenching agony.

Bella was totally catatonic. Even as Sam Uley carried her all the way back to Charlie's house in silence — while Jo chatted away about the most random of subjects to ease the tension and draw Sam's attention away from the fact that Jo was eyeing his suspiciously Wolf-like tattoo. Actually, Bella's state was so bad that she didn't not speak — or even blink really — when Charlie tried to speak to her.

So, being the amazing friend that she is, Jo helped Charlie take his daughter upstairs and run her a bath in hopes that the water would be what would gently shock her out of her stupor. Charlie left the room while Jo helped Bella scrub the dirt off of her cold, pale skin before helping her out of the bath and into a pair of comfy clothes.

Bella did not say a word still, even as Jo sat with her in her room, just staring at the ceiling. It wasn't exactly easy to see.

To say Jo felt guilty would be an understatement. In a way, she felt that she was responsible for this. If she hadn't been so caught up in her own world, focusing more on a cake than the blood thirsty vampire in the same room as the girl with a paper cut, perhaps Jo could have prevented Edward's mind from spiralling and, in doing so, saved Bella from having to go through such a pain.

When Jo had just about given up on getting Bella to talk — or really just say anything other than "he's gone" — Jo stood and made her way to the door. She stopped and sighed, feeling guilty for leaving her in such a state. So, she turned back to the other girl.

"Look, Bells, I know it sucks now but it'll get better. I mean, it's not like he died or anything. Trust me, once he realises what a dick move this was, he'll come crawling right back. Maybe just... take this time for yourself. It could be good for you," she suggested, internally cringing at her shitty pep talk.

"How?" Bella breathed, her voice small and meek like a wounded animal, so quiet that Jo almost missed it, "How is this supposed to be good? I spent the entire school day waiting for him and I spend every second of every day with him, thinking about how much I love him. So how am I supposed to live without him?"

Jo should've said something heartfelt and true right then, something that could help change Bella's perspective on the whole situation. But all that came out was: "You mean he spent the entire day procrastinating on telling you that he was leaving? Jesus, what a wuss."