The Shift

❝ I walk a lonely road

I walk a lonely road

The only one that I have ever known

Don't know where it goes

But it's home to me, and I walk alone

𓆩⛥𓆪

When Jacob and Johara were young, they loved stories. Their mother, Sarah, would always make up these elaborate tales and act them out for her children as bedtime stories. But it was their father's stories that intrigued them the most. The stories that they weren't supposed to know just yet.

As young children, they'd stealthily climb out of their beds after their parents had tucked them in and sneak out to the treehouse in their backyard where they could listen to their father telling the Council members about the history of their tribe.

Jacob and Johara would be on the edge of their seats, absolutely enthralled by the legends of the Cold Ones and the Spirit Warriors. Of course, that's just what they believed them to be: stories. Never would either of them have thought that there was any truth to the legends.

Boy, were they getting the weirdest reality check ever right now.

"Fix him!"

"No," Jacob angrily snarled as he realised just who was standing in front of him, "You stay away from me, Uley."

Sam held his hands up in surrender and slowly stepped forward.

"Jacob, calm down, I can help—"

"I DON'T WANT YOUR HELP!" He screamed, body trembling so violently that he seemed to be flickering into and out of his current form.

"Jo, there's probably something that you should know..." Paul started to explain to her, trying to prepare her for what she was about to see.

Jo scoffed at the boy.

"Yeah, I know," she informed plainly, having just figured it out on the car ride over there, "You're a pack of shapeshifting wolves."

"What?!" Jared exclaimed in surprise.

No one was supposed to know their secret. So, how had she of all people figured it out?

"How'd you know?" Paul asked.

She rolled her eyes.

"Please, y'all can't hide shit," she sassed.

"Jake—" Embry tried to assist, doing his best to look anywhere but at Johara. Jacob just continued to shout.

"NO. YOU'RE A TRAITOR!" He yelled, "STAY AWAY FROM ME! WE NEVER SHOULD HAVE COME HERE!"

Jo took a cautious step back and stood beside Sam as the vibration of Jacob's body intensified.