Growing Pains

❝ And she said,

And she said,

"We are all just prisoners here
Of our own device"

And in the master's chambers

They gathered for the feast

They stab it with their steely knives

But they just can't kill the beast

𓆩⛥𓆪

When Jo was twelve she got her first period. And, boy, let me tell you it hurt like a bitch. It felt like her uterus was literally trying to rip its way out of her in a way that somehow could be felt throughout her entire body. It was horrible.

The pain she had been experiencing at this moment kind of reminded her of that delightful experience of hitting puberty. She'd woken up that morning for school with shooting pains pulsating between her shoulder blades, weighing down her shoulders and making her whole back ache. It felt like her bones were actually stretching, trying to claw their way out of her back. The pain was so bad that she simply couldn't hold back the tears that welled in her eyes. No sane person would and, honestly, with a pain that bad, she was entitled to a few tears.

Usually, Jo barely missed any school. And if she did it was because she was goofing off at Harper's or Leah's. The girl just didn't miss school for mere cramps or sickness. So, when Jo didn't emerge from her room when she and Jacob would usually be leaving for school, Jacob had naturally been concerned.

The boy trekked over to his sister's room, knocking on the door with furrowed brows.

"Jo?" He called, "Time to go."

The only answer he received was the muffled sound of a pained groan.

"I'm coming in," he announced, opening the door and striding into her room only to find Jo curled in the foetal position on her bed, her face contorted with pain.

Without another word, Jacob swiftly fetched the painkillers from the medicine cabinet in the bathroom and returned to Jo's room with some pills and a glass of water. Kneeling at her bedside, he helped her sit up before offering up one of the pills and the water.

She gulped it down faster than the eye could see, making him raise his brows and whistle lowly.

"Thought this part of the month wasn't for another week," he said, familiar with her cycle (Jo was pretty sure he had it marked on a calendar just so he knew when to be extra tolerable so she wouldn't kill him or something), "You're not pregnant or something right?"