Oh, (Un)Fortunate One

❝ And when the band plays "Hail to the chief"

And when the band plays "Hail to the chief"

Ooh, they point the cannon at you, Lord

It ain't me, it ain't me

I ain't no furtunate one, no

𓆩⛥𓆪

Johara was always fascinated by hospitals.

From the moment she stepped foot into a hospital, she would be entranced by the orchestrated chaos of it all. It was like a dance between man and machine. Doctors coordinated their time and focus with the machines and monitors that beeped and bopped, informing them of what was to be expected. They'd rush from patient to patient, dedicating all their attention to fixing the problem at hand before swiftly switching over to the next person. Everything moved like a (mostly) well-oiled machine.

Jacob, on the other hand, hated hospitals. Most likely because they reminded him of the night their mom died. So, his extreme dislike for the noisy, sterile buildings wasn't entirely unjustified. But, for Bella Swan, Jacob seemed to be more than willing march straight into the emergency room, demanding help.

It was that intensity of Jacob's crush that was also beginning to concern Johara.

She knew that Bella loved Edward Cullen more than anything else and, even though he'd left, she would always remain loyal to the vampire, her heart never once ceasing to beat for him despite everything he'd put her through. And the simple fact remained that Bella would likely never move on from Edward — and Jo suspected that Bella herself already knew that too.

Then there was Jacob with his little school-boy crush. He chased after Bella like a lovesick puppy and seemed to be willing to persevere and continue to do so no matter how long it took, even though he knew that Bella was still hung up on her ex.

And the worst part was that Bella was leading him on! She knew full-well how Jacob felt for her and still made no move to shut down his advances and save him the misery of going after a girl that would never truly love him the way he loved her.

Yes, Jo was incredibly glad that Bella was doing better — and a lot of her newfound emotional growth was attributed to Jacob's (and Johara's) help — but, if it meant that Bella was eventually just going to break her brother's heart then Jo didn't know how much longer she could entertain whatever strange, codependent relationship that Bella and Jacob were developing.

Jo mulled over these thoughts in the waiting room at Forks Community Hospital where she sat hunched into an uncomfortable chair with her arms crossed over her chest and her resting bitch face warning everyone not to even dare sit next to her. Her sunglasses rested on the bridge of her nose, the colour of her eyes still not having stabilised. Grams said that it wouldn't take much longer for them to settle down.