Chapter 1 | The New Beginning

Scenery | Alana's house | Imagery - same floor plan to Henry's house, but with different colour co-ordination, and plants dotted around everywhere.

"do I have to, mom?" I was in the kitchen, opening my laptop at the kitchen table, whilst my mom was sitting next to me. "I've only just turned 13, I don't have to have a job straight away, can't I wait until im atleast 14?"

"absolutely not honey", she exclaimed, "you'll thank me in a years time. having good work experience will look great on your college application, and plus, you'll have great pay too. you wont have to beg me for money anymore to go to the mall, make sure you go for a job with at least 9$ an hour, I don't want you slaving away for below the average wage."

I sighed. I really didn't want to have a job, I wanted to go out with my friends and enjoy my teenage years, not be at work all the time where I get treated like garbage, but I wanted to make my mom proud. She looks out for me all the time since dad left, more than she used too before. She bought this great huge house for us two so we could leave all our bad memories behind when dad was here. I guess it won't be as bad as I'm imagine it to be.

I logged into my computer and googled 'current jobs available in Swellview', only 5 results showed up.

I scrolled through the results, the first one said a cleaner, I hate cleaning, plus a rubbish pay.

The second and third were delivery drivers. "ooh this sounds good mom! working at the local sushi shop, Sushi Dushi" I scrolled through the article. "ehh wait nevermind, only 8$ an hour, if it was only 1$ off..."

"WAIT SCROLL DOWN!" Mom shouted. "Look! The last option, err Junk and Stuff, I've never heard of that place before! And look! 10$ an hour, you MUST take it!."

"okay okay!" I shouted back, followed by a giggle. "let me just read it first."

as I was reading my mom was chanting 'take it! take it!' quietly.

"okay it sounds fun, ill go to the interview, but it doesnt mean i have the job yet-"

Mom interrupted my sentence, you could tell how excited she was. "I'm so proud of you, you're finally getting a job! You must go, now, NOW!"

"I must change my clothes!" I said. "I look a right mess!"

"You look fine!" said mom. "come on out the door, go go go! you never know someone might be taking your job as we speak!"

She threw my shoes at me, I tied my shoe laces and waved as I said goodbye, she waited at the door until I left the driveway.

And that's how it all started.