Chapter Three- Sidelines

The front door slammed shut, rattling the whole apartment. Agent 3 rested her cheek on her hand and sighed through her nose; 8 had been late to work for the past week, which usually doesn't happen. The octoling was very tight on her schedule.

Agent 4 placed a bowl of cereal into the kitchen sink with a clatter. She shook her hands dry before going back into her room.

"I'm going back to sleep, don't bother me," she said.

"You don't have to tell me twice," 3 said sarcastically.

4 stuck her tongue out at 3 before slamming the bedroom door. 3 leaned back on the living room couch and put her forearm over her eyes, letting out a large sigh.

There wasn't much to do on that Sunday morning. The sky was its usual bright blue, and small finches and pigeons cooed outside the apartment complex. The sound of cars passing by came occasionally, but other than that, it was pleasantly peaceful outside.

3's mind started to wander, thinking up random things and reminders. Just the necessities; wash the dishes, shower if you can, tidy up the complex, don't forget to clean 8's room, how's 8 doing right now, 8 looks cute in her Ammo Knights uniform-

Agent 3 sat up abruptly, quickly pulling her arm away from her now red face. She blinked a couple of times in confusion before taking a couch pillow and burying her burning red face in it, mumbling to herself-

"What have I gotten myself into."

Agent 3 lowered her shoulders and unclenched her jaw, trying to relax a little. It's been a while since she developed a "crush", so she had forgotten the feeling of butterflies or the uncontrollable smiling and blushing. 3 let out a helpless sigh and tossed the pillow away. She rested her head on her knees and wrapped her arms around her legs.

Almost everything would remind the inkling of her crush; the sight of vibrant pink or bright orange, a song that would play on the radio, or clothes and foods she thinks she would enjoy.

3 knew something was up with 8. She looked tired and nervous all of a sudden. Before, she used to be a bit more lively and better organized with her room and time management. Agent 3 thought back to their meeting with the rest of the Splatoon; 8 seemed frightened to move like she was trying to ground herself, and she was aware of everything around and near her. She remembered her flinching at Pearl's touch, and how on edge she was throughout the day. 3 wanted to help her out in small ways, like helping her with her hair or cleaning her room for her, but there was no evidence of a fix yet. She was trying and failing to assist from the sidelines.