Chapter Twelve- A Visit

The gentle beeping of a heart monitor bugged Agent 3's ears. She sat upright in a white, blue-dotted hospital gown, picking at the tips of her thumb anxiously as she waited. Time seemed slower in the hospital than it did when she was in missions or with her friends, so the wait for them was unbearable. Finally, the door clicked open.

"3!" An excited inkling shouted.

Agent 4 rushed over to the hospital bed, a balloon and a bag in hand. 3 put her arms out and forward for the agent to hug her, which usually didn't happen between the two, but 3 allowed it just this once. Agent 4 rammed into the hug, knocking 3 back slightly. She winced at the pain in her side, but hid it so 4's hug wasn't interrupted.

"3 I WAS SO WORRIED ARE YOU OKAY ARE YOU FEELING BETTER WHEN CAN YOU COME HOOOOOME," Agent 4 sobbed into 3's hospital gown.

"As soon as I'm all healed, I promise," Agent 3 huffed.

"We got you stuff from the store, look!"

Agent 3 looked over at 4, who handed her the bag. It was green, the same color as her ink, and the paper inside was cream white. She removed the paper and noticed a small rectangular object. She picked it up out of the bag and smiled.

"You got me chocolate...?" She raised a brow.

"Mhm mhm!! Agent 8 helped, she remembered your favorite kind!"

3 froze. "8! I almost forgot about 8, is she okay?! Has she had any episodes since I left?! How has she been doing on sleep, is she eating properly-"

"Geez, relax!" Agent 4's eyes widened. "She's coming soon, don't worry. But about the episodes and sleep..."

Agent 3 sat up more.

"She had a panic attack while you were taken to the hospital, or at least that's what Marina said. I don't think she gets much sleep, either."

3 bit her lip. "This is my fault," she mumbled, "if I had just-"

"What?!? This isn't your fault, dude, it's not like you went around octarian territory ASKING to be stabbed!" Agent 4 shouted.

"SHHH, 4! Inside voice," 3 frowned.

As they spoke, a creaking noise from the door, signaling that someone came in. Agent 8 smiled at the two, leaning against the door.

She somehow managed to look completely different within the past few days. Her eyes seemed dull and drained of their energy. Dark circles formed under her eyes, showing how little sleep she managed to get. 3 fought back a shutter; she looked exactly how she did the night she came home covered in her blood.

"Hey," 8 smiled to 3, her voice a soft tone.

"Hey." 3 mimicked the tone, a smile spreading across her face.

"Well, I'm gonna go find Marina in the lobby. See ya!" Agent 4 left the room, squeezing past 8 to leave.

The door slammed shut with a cold slam.

8 walked over to 3 and sat down at the foot of the hospital bed. She put a hand on 3's own, causing a soft blush on her face. Agent 8 frowned, looking at the condition 3 was in. By her posture, 8 could tell her torso was bandaged up. In that moment, 8 wanted nothing more than to help her friend. She'd give anything to see 3 in good health.

3 looked up at 8, not noticing that the octoling was already staring. Everything about her was perfect to 3, but the condition of her health worried her. It was clear to see that she wasn't sleeping well due to the deep circles under her eyes and the slow way she moved. 3 sighed, wanting nothing more than to help her friend. She'd give anything to see 8 in good health.

"How have you been?" 8 broke the silence.

"Good, kinda," 3 gave a short answer.

"That's good!" 8 smiled, the corners of her eyes creasing with her lips. 3 blushed, happy to see the thing she loved most about 8.

The two of them stayed quiet a bit longer, but the silence wasn't awkward. Both of them felt comfortable with eachother in the silence, smiles on both of their faces. 3 hesitated before holding 8's hand, her face burning red.

"3, you okay? Your face is pink," 8 asked.

"Uh, yeah! Yeah I'm fine," 3 mumbled.

8 smiled. "Whatever you say," she said in a singsong voice.

There was a loud knock at the door before a tall woman entered the room.

"8? It's about time we left, Pearl and I have to plan still," Marina Ida smiled.

8 nodded. She turned to 3 and frowned.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be, have fun," Agent 3 reassured her.

8 waved goodbye to 3 and left with Marina and 4, leaving 3 alone until they could visit again. 3 sat back and sighed, a warm feeling returning to her face as her heart skipped a beat. She sighed and smiled, acknowledging how fun it was to hold 8's hand. Sure, she was a blushing mess, but it was fun. Hopefully she'd see her again soon.