Chapter Eight- Taking a Break

8's episode only lasted a few minutes, however, her anger at 3 lasted much longer. Not long after the end of her panic attack, she locked herself in her room again.

8 pressed her back against her wall and wrapped her arms around her stomach tightly. She expected a knock at her door or a worried voice from 3, but there was barely any noise outside of her door other than the sound of another door closing.

It was still in the 1:00 hour. 8 wiped her wet face with her sleeve and sighed sharply. Before she could fully stand up, there was a quick and quiet knock at the door. It was nothing like 3's. A very distant voice came through the door.

"Are you okay..?" Agent 4 said through the door.

Agent 8 opened her door and was surprised to see Agent 4's tan face stained with tears. She wiped aggressively at her face while she spoke, her voice trembling just as much as she was.

"I heard- there was shouting and I thought it was nothing, but then I heard glass breaking and- and when I came out of my room you were locked up in your room and 3 was going inside of hers, too." She let out a shaking sigh, "I thought someone got hurt o-or octarians broke in, or- I didn't..."

Agent 4 stopped talking abruptly. She sniffled and rubbed her eyes again.

Agent 8 stood there with a loss for words. "Agent 4..." She mumbled.

8 put her arms out and pulled the child into a hug. 4 wrapped her arms around 8 tightly as silent tears streamed down her face. After a few minutes, 4 began talking in a quiet, hoarse voice.

"I know you're not okay," she said, hugging the octoling tighter. "I'm sorry for not helping."

"No, wait," 8's eyes widened at what her fellow agent said. "Don't be sorry, please. I should be sorry, I didn't mean to worry you or to make you cry. I'm sorry I was so rude."

"Rude..? You weren't rude to me at all..."

Agent 8 paused. She and her friend both knew that apology wasn't for 4. 8 let go of 4 and smiled.

"I think we can all use a break. The past few days have been stressful," 8 said. "How about a movie night here? It can be tonight or tomorrow, your choice."

Agent 4 gave a weakened smile. "Can it be tonight?"

"Of course! I can go make popcorn, and if you want you can build a fort in the other room, too," 8 grinned.

4 gave a couple of tear-filled giggles and hugged 8 again. She quickly let go and went to start building.

8 watched 4 with a smile before it quickly faded. She looked at one of the rooms across the hall and hesitated. 8 walked across the hall, looking into the kitchen as she went. She felt an overwhelming amount of guilt when she noticed the glass was cleaned up. The octoling shook her head and focused on the task at hand.

8 knocked softly on 3's door, but to her surprise, the door nudged open with a small tap. 8 peeked her head into the room and noticed 3 laying down on her bed, her back facing the door.

Her hair was tied into a low bun at the base of her neck. She changed out of her original outfit and was wearing black shorts and a grey shirt a size bigger than herself. The inkling tapped away at her phone silently.

8 anxiously stepped into the room and hesitated to speak. "Uhm," 8 mumbled, "Agent 4 and I are about to watch a movie of her choice. You can join us if you want to, I think we all deserve a break."

There was silence. 8 fiddled with the edge of her shirt and held her breath. After a while, she sighed and walked out.

"You can join us whenever, we wouldn't mind," 8 said. "...And I'm sorry."

There was silence in response. The air felt still and thick with uncertainty. 8 bit her lip in anxiousness and left the room, gently closing the door with a click.

4 met her in the hallway. "Is 3 coming?"

"I doubt it, she seems upset, which is reasonable. I snapped at her and broke her glass, so..."

4 looked back at 3's bedroom door. "Maybe she'll come around, but come on, I'm almost done with the fort," she smiled.

8 grinned and followed 4 to the living room, but the feeling of guilt didn't leave her mind.

In the living room, there was a large, soft layer of pillows out on the carpet. Two chairs from the kitchen were used as support for a thin blanket that formed a tent over the pillows. The blanket was pinned above the couch on a wall using a thumbtack, allowing just enough space under the blanket for people to still sit. A small dome-shaped light slowly changed between colors on the couch.

"4, this looks great!" 8 smiled.

Agent 4 sat down inside of the fort. "Why, thank you, m'lady," she said with a huff.

"I can go start the popcorn, you get all set for the movie," 8 said.

The microwave beeped and whirred as a flat bag of popcorn kernels spun around inside. 8 watched the popcorn bag turn as she let her mind run on and on about things. She wondered why 3 was upset; was it something she did? The octoling frowned before she heard the microwave beep.

8 walked back into the living room. 4 was sitting on the floor with her back against the couch, a smile on her face. The time only said 2:15 pm, but the two of them didn't seem to care. 8 put the popcorn next to 4 and say down on the other side. 4 picked her movie choice and the movie night began.

וווווווווווווווווווווווווו×

As the clock struck 5:00, three movies had been watched and there was no more popcorn in the bowl.

4 yawned as she pressed one tv remote button at a time, typing in the title of another movie. 8 had moved over to the couch and stretched her long legs across it, her head rested on a pillow and a blanket up to her shoulders.

"You seem tired, 4, should we stop the movie night?" 8 asked.

"What?? It's only 5:00, I ain't tired," 4 shrugged. "This next movie is at LEAST two hours long, so prepare," she said as she chose the movie.

8 silently sighed and nuzzled her nose into the covers, trying to get warm. Around fifteen minutes into the movie, a small creak came from the hallway, but 4 didn't seem to notice as 8 did. After a few seconds of silence, a figure came into the living room and sat down on the very edge of the couch. 8 moved her legs up so the person could have room.

8 smiled. "Welcome to the movie night, 3."