Chapter Eleven- Sirens

After their picnic, the three of them decided it was time to leave. 8 needed to get home to 4, while Pearl and Marina had work to attend to at the studio.

"So just to run things over again," 8 began, "I think I'm a lesbian, Marina and Pearl."

Marina clapped her hands together in excitement. "That's great! Just know that if you're unsure you can always talk to Pearl and me," she smiled warmly. "Remember that this is all about finding who you are, okay?"

"You and Rina' are like twins! Octarian lesbians," Pearl smiled and hugged 8. "Glad you're feeling confident, kiddo. Took me WAYY longer than it did you, heh."

Agent 8 hugged Pearl back tightly. "We should get going though! I'm sure 4 is impatient if they're even awake."

"True, so let's go," Marina smiled.

The Square was empty other than the occasional bird chirp and a quiet snore from Judd. It was later in the evening and turf wars were closed for checkups and maintenance, so with nothing to do, the Inklings and octolings simply went home.

Pearl, Marina, and 8 walked by Ammo Knights with grins on their faces. As they passed, Pearl noticed someone exiting the drain. A tall woman with grey hair and cyan tips emerged, panting and hunched over.

"Marie?" Pearl stopped.

8 and Marina turned to see the tired inkling.

She looked up at the three of them, a look of panic and dread in her eyes.

"Marie?? What's wrong?" Marina walked towards her and put a hand on her shoulder.

Marie held a strong grip on her forearm, her skin visibly creasing at her hold. Beads of sweat dripped from her forehead as she swayed, her legs trembling.

With a dry mouth, she began to speak. "O-Our mission... I-It went wrong, so wrong, I didn't-"

Agent 8 cut her off, a sudden panic sweeping over her emotions. "Where's 3?!?"

Before Marie could answer, another figure came from the drain; it was none other than Agent 3.

She looked pale and beaten up, a glossy bruise over her previous scar. A fresh cut on her cheek dripped blue blood onto the hem of her scarf. She was sweating more than Marie, and streams of dried blood stained her nose. Her whole body trembled with every step she took, a painful hiss under her voice accompanied by it.

"AGENT 3!" 8 ran up to 3, her eyes wide with fear.

The octoling put a trembling hand on her shoulder, her face displaying a heavy frown. Agent 3 looked voided of emotion except for an occasional wince. Pearl and Marina followed 8, their eyebrows furrowed.

"Get Marie some help, sh-she's wounded," Agent 3 pointed to Marie.

Marie frowned. She took her hand off of her arm, wincing at the air that touched the deep scratches against her arm. Blue blood dripped from the wounds and stained her palm.

Marina gasped. "Here, let me help."

She took off her headscarf and pressed the fabric against her arm. Marie shuddered and yelped at the sting. Marina gently tied the scarf around her wound.

"Keep pressure on it as you did before."

"I know that," she mumbled and put her palm back over the headscarf.

"Are you okay 3?" Agent 8 frowned.

"I'm fine, don't worry. Let's get Marie to a safe space, the Outpost is a mess right now."

Marie looked at 3 and was about to say something, but a quick look from 3 shut her up. 8 caught the deadly stare from 3 and looked at her, her eyebrows furrowed.

"3, what aren't you telling me?!" The octoling crossed her arms.

"8, leave it be please, we need to go." Agent 3 said.

"Tell me what's wrong."

"I don't want to worry you."

"Agent 3..." 8 put her hands on 3's face, gently rubbing her thumbs against her cheeks. Agent 3 looked up at her, her expression softening as she felt comfort in the octoling's embrace. She gave a soft smile, her eyes watering up with tears. "You can trust me."

"I..."

Agent 3 began to speak before she paused. 8 looked confused, and before she knew it, 3's head suddenly fell heavy in her hands. 3's eyes fluttered shut as they rolled back in her head, her body going limp as she fell forward. 8 screamed and caught her body, but was unable to hold her up. She and the agent fell to the ground.

"8! 3!" Pearl whirled around and ran to the two agents.

8 quickly sat up, picking up 3 like with haste. She held the inkling, her back supported against her arm. The octoling looked for any harm done on 3, her eyes widened and her heart racing. She removed the inkling's cape and paused.

Blue blood stained her vest and undershirt. Her cape and palm were also covered in her blood, and it was clear to see she was trying to hide her wound. 8 put a trembling hand up to her mouth at the sight of a gaping wound on 3's side. With every shallow breath she took, the wound moved and pestered her side, making her wince in her unconsciousness.

"Agent 3..." 8 hiccupped and choked on her words. She hugged the inkling tightly.

"HOLY SHIT!" Pearl stopped in her tracks at the sight of the blood and gore in front of her.

"I'm calling an ambulance now," Marina took out her phone.

"How do we explain all of this?!?" Pearl took a step back.

"We'll just follow along, and Marie-" Marina went to finish her sentence, but noticed Marie was nowhere to be found.

"She LEFT?!?" Pearl frowned.

"I guess it's for the best. We don't need huge media coverage for this..." Marina sighed.

She looked at Agent 8, who was trembling over the unconscious inkling. She sobbed loudly, holding onto the inkling tighter and tighter as the sound of ambulance sirens came closer.