Chapter 7: Staring Contest (Edited)

Ash Valencia's POV

          ...This is quite the large amount of *deja vu I'm experiencing. It feels somewhat tediously familiar. 

          I thought to myself questioning whether or not this was something all of the high figures in society did, but this time he looked like he was wanting to know how I would react instead of doing his best to judge my worth. Either way, he was still staring at me.

          I sighed in my mind. Is there no better way for them to go about this? I returned his cold gaze with an even icier one. Something I was quite used to doing. 

          We went on glaring into each other's souls, unblinking, neither refusing to back down. After a while, he frowned a bit and stared at me even harder than before. So I did the same except I purposely let some of my impatience and annoyance leak out. A cold and unsettling air fell upon the room and the pressure seemed to increase, enough to make someone choke. 

          Did I do that? I sighed to myself in my mind again. I didn't mean for it to show that much. Even so, that was an unusual amount of pressure, too much for the tiny emotions I let out. I'll look into it later. I sighed again but this time, out loud. 

          All eyes snapped toward the barely audible sound I made. The chancellor, scholars, and other high and important figures all looked at me with panicked expressions. Except for one person who was looking at me with a different expression. One that would've been horrifying for any other person. 

          That specific person being...the emperor of Aurora himself.

*****

          Let me explain how we got here. 

          One week ago. December 13th Imperial Year 305. Our family got a letter from the imperial family. Usually, this would've been a good thing for nobles. Maybe a summoning for a raise in your noble title, maybe an assignment as a royal servant, maybe a summoning to present you a medal for your contribution in some way. It would've been good news. That is...if the envelope wasn't colored a deep black and gold-laced. 

          An Imperial Order. Never a good thing. Every time an Imperial order was sent out, it was either notice of the death of a family member in war, an imperial decree in war, your sentence to death, and other bad things like that. There was nothing good about this letter. 

          From all the books I've read on history, there was not one time something good happened post-imperial order. And not only was this an imperial order but it had also been addressed to Ash Valencia. Me. 

          Now during these kinds of situations, I never panicked. There was no reason to. If it leads to my death then there was practically nothing I could do about that except wait for it quietly. If I could help it, then I would try and prevent it. If I couldn't, then oh well. The bad thing is, my family didn't seem to take it as well as I did.

          The moment the letter arrived, the mood was grave and nobody spoke a word as my mother silently cut open the envelope and read it silently. It was silent until my mother gasped and collapsed. 

          I watched, slightly concerned for just what was written on that letter that could've made the calm and composed duchess fall to her knees and start sobbing. It wasn't long before I found out. 

          My brothers rushed over to her to try and calm her down when Elijah read out, "From the Emperor to Duchess Valorie Valencia, this is an Imperial order. The Emperor has summoned Ash Valencia from the Valencia family to the Imperial Court for a personal meeting with the Emperor himself. Your invitation is due at 1:00 pm on the 20th of December in the Imperial Court Room. Only the audience of select family and friends are permitted. As her guardian, your presence is required. Please arrive at the allotted time and date. Delay of the meeting can be punishable by imprisonment..."