Ch. 7- How the Muffin Crumbles

The mushroom king and his green knight traversed through the soft trees of the forest, the lonely fallen leaves flowing through the wind.

"You know.." George turned to Dream as he began to speak. " I haven't been able to visit anywhere in the land for a long time. I guess I've been busy, but maybe.. I don't know.." Dream gave him a reassuring smile, and with that, George continued.

"I don't know, maybe I should have been there for my people... my friends. I just got so caught up in trying to protect everyone, that I didn't think to just be there for them."

Dream looked down to George, lifting the king's chin up to interlock their gaze. George stopped his rambling and focused on the green ocean he had made eye contact with. "Hey it's ok," Dream said with a soft smile. "Sometimes we do the hardest things for the people we care about." Dream lifted up his hand, gently brushing George's hair away from his eyes, melting their connection. George didn't dare move. Dream sighed and then lightly chuckled. "The heart can complicate things to hell can't it?"

The two softly laughed, cheeks growing in color. Dream turned away and advanced on the mossy path, then looking back he smiled and said, "But I wouldn't worry, if they're really your friends they'll love you for you." George's heart fluttered, and with a wide smile he raced to catch up with Dream.

"Anndd.. We're here!" George said as he moved a weeping tree branch out of the path, revealing a quaint little town, nestled between tall trees.

Dream's eyes shot about, looking at the cream color of the buildings, the roofs of brick and cobblestone. He noticed the wispy vines growing and spreading throughout all exterior, almost making the houses seem like fairy cottages. Dream laughed to himself, realizing that's very much what they could be.

He saw a gleaming, polished ivory fountain in the courtyard, its crystal water shooting out into the clear blue sky. There were countless flowers, all different colors and scents on every patch of grass, their aroma sweetening the crisp morning air. Dream turned to George, who was just happily gazing at the village, his eyes soft and at peace. Dream gently shoved the king's shoulder, breaking his gaze.

"Come on Georgie I'll race you." Dream said with a mischievous smile as he took off.

Dream swiftly arrived at the fountain, with George shortly behind. With a few deep breaths, interrupted by some laughter, the two looked up to acknowledge the peaceful state of the town. However they were abruptly broken from the trance as two small figures darted from around the corner and collided with George, roughly knocking the king through the air into Dream, which resulted in all of them collapsed on the floor.

George shook his head, confused on what happened when he realized he was still fully laying on Dream. He quickly got up and composed himself, then turned to the strange figures with a questioning glance.

Dream stood to his feet after George and with a soft smirk walked over to the strangers as well, helping them to their feet. There were two boys, one smiled kindly as he appreciated Dream's hand in helping him up, and the other seemed to hiss as he rejected George's hand, quickly standing up himself.

The first boy was a short brunette in overalls, his kind smile and huge brown eyes grinning towards Dream and George.

The other, whom as he stood up, towered over George with his icy blue eyes and fluffy, wild blonde hair. He had a mad grin on his face, his eyebrows were arched in attack formation and his crazy gaze shot back and forth between George and Dream.

With a heavy sigh George rolled his eyes and returned his gaze to the boy. "Hello Tommy."

Tommy's evil grin widened at George's words. "Why hello Gogy." George rolled his eyes once more before turning back to Dream.