Ch. 10- You Are My Home

Dream carried George all the way home.

He didn't even realize how tired the journey had made him until after they all had arrived home and George was safely resting.

When they first left Jimmy's mountain, the dragon, George and Dream talked quietly about all their previous injuries for a bit, after Dream teased the king for having gotten so badly defeated by what he called "not even a big dragon."

The conversation somehow evolved to them debating who would win in a duel if all they had were campfire skewers and a frying pan, in which George was convinced he would demolish Dream.

After joking around for a bit, George absentmindedly began to nuzzle the smallest bit closer into Dream's embrace, which caused rose hints of a vibrant pink color to the tall blonde's cheeks.

George soon fell asleep, in which after, Dream inspected the rising bruises and gashes that lined the king's face. Even completely beat up, Dream still decided he looked like an angel. That thought bounced around for a bit until distracted-Dream almost tripped on a tree root, which would have sent both of them to the ground, but thankfully Dream steadied himself and refocused his eyes on the road.

He looked ahead to Maia and Karl, who seemed to be in a deep conversation about vegetables or something, Dream couldn't really make it out. But by now the sun was setting and the beautiful colors in the sky sent calming breezes to the travelers. Soon enough, they rounded a bend and George's house came into view.

"Here, why don't you go drop George off in his room so he can rest? We'll wait out here, then we can deliver the skin to Puffy." Karl suggested.

Dream, still somewhat distracted by the beautiful sunset and his precious luggage, took a moment to look up to Karl.

"Huh?" He asked.

Karl giggled, "How 'bout you drop him off here, then we can go give Puffy the skin."

Karl paused a moment before arching his eyebrow and smiling at Dream. "Unless you want to stay with him.."

Dream flushed red as he looked between Karl and Maia a few times, before softly marching towards the mushroom cottage.

"No it's ok, I'll be right back!" Dream called out as he ducked to enter the narrow door frame.

He walked up to George's room, the king still sleeping softly in his arms. Dream smiled as he gently laid the small brunette into his bed, covering him with a blanket but remembering to raise his injured leg with an extra pillow he found. Dream rummaged around until he found old bedsheets and ripped them to make clean bandages.

Once he was satisfied with his nursing abilities he walked back over to George and just gazed at him for a solid moment. He softly brushed the stray hairs that covered his eyes away from his face, and smiled warmly.

"Goodnight George." He whispered as he began to walk away.

"Dreeaamm." a quiet voice roughly called out to him, and Dream quickly whipped around a walked back to the voice's bedside.

"I'm here George."

George's eyes had somewhat swollen shut, as his multiple other bruises began to grow in their purple color. The king looked into Dream eyes for a second before mumbling out the words,

"Thank you."

"Hey it's ok, it's ok." Dream said, his eyes filled with warmth. "Just looking out for my favorite dragon-slaying idiot." Dream said with a laugh before starting out the door again.

"Why.. why do you care so much?"

Dream stopped in his tracks, turning around as he thought about his answer. Instead of giving George the honest truth, that he was just coming to acknowledge himself, he said the next best thing.