Ch. 16- In the heat of the battle, one thing stays constant.

Dream was up before the final star had even left the night sky.

As a million things circulated through his mind, one thing was held constant, and that was the motivation to bring light to the land that has been kept in darkness for too long.

He strapped a black harness to himself, knotting the ties behind him, as he loaded its pockets and sleeves with additional swords and daggers. After perhaps too much time in debating whether or not to carry bombs on his person, Dream decided otherwise, as it probably would only end in disaster. Besides, Tommy and Tubbo were already too excited to be the designated nuke-handlers.

"Maybe I shouldn't be giving explosives to children." Dream thought to himself, before shrugging it off and slicking back his hair as he walked out the door.

Dream looked out to the field scattered with preparing warriors, all being held captive as George stood amongst them, no doubt speaking words of hope as his eyes shone with valor. The very sight of George made Dream begin to feel weak to his core, but he shook it off, as today was much too important to worry about trivial details. Dream hated how he made himself write it off as nothing when it was clearly consuming him.

Upon immersing himself into the crowd, George's gaze was quickly drawn to him, and both their eyes met for a moment before the king subtly refocused on the crowd.

In all honesty, Dream wasn't really comprehending what George was saying, as the faint glow of the rising sun mixed with his worried but strong expression of hope made the small king gleam radiance. It wasn't even that Dream was completely held captive by the sight, but rather perhaps he just liked seeing something that made the heavy situation feel so incredibly light.

George finished his speech with something along the lines of "We are stronger together, and there is no doubt in my mind we will prevail." Which almost made Dream want to tease him over, if it wasn't so heartfelt.

Once the roaring cheers from the people had died down, mostly the screams from Tommy, and everyone was preparing themselves for the journey to the battlefield, George walked over to Dream, caution in his step.

Dream tried to pretend he hadn't been staring at the brunette the entire time, but as George got closer, he realized it really didn't matter.

"Hi George." Dream said, the softness in his tone unwavering.

George tilted his head in a slight smile before responding. "Hello."

The two stood in a comfortable silence for another moment, just taking in the crisp morning air. After all, it might be a while before they could have respite again.

The bleak thoughts were covered by the birds waking up to sing their morning song, as the sun rose further and further up the blue sky.

George cleared his throat.

"Um.. Dream," The king began, until he was cut off by the other.

"Don't worry George, don't worry about anything... I get it. There's a lot of stress and more impending issues right now. Don't worry."

The relief that flooded George's face brought an overwhelming peace to Dream's nerves, but he could still see something holding the king back in his deep brown eyes.

"Thank you Dream.. really." George spoke with a very calm tone for a leader who was about to lead their nation into battle.

Dream smiled. "Of course. You know I'll be by your side."