1. Arrival

Acela POV

I arrive at the gates of the palace at exactly the right time I was instructed to arrive by the head of staff. I can't help my eyes gaze as I admire how beautiful the large historical castle-turned palace is. This is everyone's dream in the human realm to work here and now that I have that honor I still can't believe they liked my resume.

I am now a maid for the royal family.

Saying it is still a shock to me, I know the position was sought after by thousands upon thousands of people, I'm incredibly lucky to have been chosen.

I have zero experience other than caring for my mother who passed away last month. My mother had been the only family that I had left and now I'm all alone.

My father died at work when he was a patrol enforcer for the new military, his death had shocked me and my mother, worsening her condition of the heart and forever leaving a stain on my own heart.

I miss them so much.

Gripping my single suitcase as I see two guards come my way. I had to pass at least twenty guards and show my ID making it this far to the castle, this is the last one.. hopefully.

The guards are huge and their eyes are glowing, werewolves are very common these days since the war that shook the world a hundred years ago, since then King Black has ruled.

They stop in front of me holding very sharp weapons that definitely intimidate me. "State your business." One guard asks me.

I stand up straight. "I am the new maid, Acela Shaw, here's my ID and employer card." I say confidently as my hand grips my suitcase harder.

The guards nod while inspecting it with a weapon metal scanner then they open the gate and signal for me to enter. They both go back to their positions as I nod my head politely then make my way up the long pathway to the palace.

Everything I know about the royal family and Kane Black I was taught in school, the war had been the bloodiest of all wars, millions died around the world, nobody knew that supernatural beings existed, we just thought they were made up bedtime stories.

As I make my way, I see two figures standing by the entrance dressed in uniform I can only guess is what the workers wear on a daily basis.

An older pale woman and a small big bug-eyed creature, known as grim are standing waiting for hopefully me.

"Hello, I'm Acela Shaw, I believe you must be Elizabeth?" I ask confidently.

The older woman beams at me while the small creature looks bored. "Yes dear, I saw you at the gate, perfectly on time I like that. Come inside and I'll show you your room and the necessities. Oh and this here is Brim." She says politely.

The creature Brim grunts a hello as I nod politely and say hello back. I have a feeling Brim doesn't like me as the creature continues to scowl at me.

As we step into the main hall I can't take my eyes from the beauty of every single thing my eyes glance at. The ceiling is huge and the walls are covered in art I've never seen before, statues of people I do not know but are on display with marble and gold lining around the features.

"This here is the main entrance, we do not use this unless we are cleaning for events, come let me show you your room then we will get your outfit and Brim here will give you your schedule." She says as I follow behind her and Brim as I'm trying to keep up and look at everything we pass.

"Tomorrow you will start so I will show you your room than let you get some rest, it's a very long travel from the human realm is it not?" She asks curiously as she glances over her shoulder at me.