18. Public

Caelan POV

I stand beside my mate as we prepare to walk on stage. She is holding it together for me and I'm so proud of my mate for doing this with me. The press and constant hounding of us every time we go out will die down eventually after we publically announce our relationship.

I hate that Acela wanted to go slow and it pains me to not keep her wish as I stand here, seconds from flat out denying her what she wants. There is nothing I wouldn't do to see her smile right now, the worry on her beautiful face scorns my very soul knowing I am causing this.

This is my life and it's now hers, it's not for everyone. Acela will slowly be introduced into my world one way or another, by my doing or someone else's, that I can not control. As the prince, I can only do so much to protect her from the reality of a future with me and a future with me is only going to get more hectic for her if she does not accept this.

Her being here proves to me that she has accepted it, but this is only the beginning.

The royal family's house speaker finishes on stage and hints for me to take the stage. I look down at my nervous mate, I lean down and kiss the mark I gave her on her neck then go to her ear and whisper quietly. "Only me, got it?" I say with a smile to ease the tension in her face.

She smiles nervously at me and nods while looking at the mass of reports and TV stations as camera flashes begin to shoot off more now than I have been welcomed to stage.

My hand is on the back of my mate's back, I lead her with me as I walk first onto the stage as my family stands backstage to watch privately.

I stand in front of the podium behind the large number of microphones that are on top, Acela is stood behind me but in my view, as I clear my throat and smile towards the crowd as their flashes almost fucking blind me. I just need to get this over with so I can hold my mate in my arms again.

"Good afternoon." I say as I glance around the crowd. "I would like to thank you all for coming here today regarding the rumors, I mean they were bound to happen eventually right?" I say jokingly to which the crowd laughs.

That's it, start off light Caelan, the crowd is now yours.

"I, Caelan Black, Prince of The Vale would like to publicly confirm that the rumors are true, Miss Acela Shaw and I are mates." I state with pride, and the camera's flash and the crowd ask questions all at once.

I look to my side and see my mate overwhelmed by the attention, I gently pull her to my side as I lace our hands together. I feel her relax slightly at my touch but I know this much would overwhelm any normal person.

Well, time to get the most annoying part out of the way.

"We have time for a few questions." The royal house public speaker announces and the crowd goes wild with their hands up.

I nod to a reporter and the crowd quiets. "Prince Caelan, Trish from the human realm, does this mean that you and Miss Shaw are going to be the next King and Queen?" She asks and I feel my mate sweat in my hand and I smile politely to the crowd.

I shrug. "Yes eventually, marriage first Trish." I say and the crowd laughs as Trish blushes.

I look down to my mate and wink and her face blushes, she moves slightly behind me to hide her face and I can't help the laugh that comes out of me from watching her cute reaction.