Eternal Life (Angst)

Tw: Death

Romantic: Naw

Genre: ANGST

Cleo grunted, lifting the heavy stone slab guarding her against the treasure she sought. She looked inside the stone box, eyes scanning for the thing she was looking for.

A lamp.

A golden lamp, with beautiful engravings and pictures decorating its entirety. Cleo blew some dust off of it, and opened up a large book from her knapsack, flipping through the pages until she found the one labeled djinn.

"Ok, so rub three times, blow once, and say djinn of the lamp, got it," she muttered to herself.

She took a deep breath. Was she really about to do this? Did she even have another choice? She was chronically ill, fated to waste away and die painfully in bed surrounded by sad faces. How bleak.

She had searched and searched, stolen, borrowed, and begged to find some way to beat her illness. A djinn trapped in a magical lamp for hundreds of years, willing to grant one wish to any who freed them.

Cleo took a deep breath, and closed her eyes. She was going to do this. She needed to do this. For her friends, and her family, and all the other people she didn't want to watch her die to a battle they couldn't even see, she would do this.

She rubbed the lamp three times, blew on it, then closed her eyes before whispering,

"Djinn of the lamp"

A whooshing sound, clouds of purple smoke that made Cleo choke and gag, and suddenly, there was a figure standing in front of her.

They had deep purple skin, wore what Cleo recognized from her research as the robes of a djinn noble, and had a long black ponytail that went almost down to their waist.

The djinn had almost glowing violet eyes, and their legs melded together into a Smokey tail hovering a few inches above the dusty stone floor of the cavern.

They turned their violet eyes to Cleo, and took her in before speaking.

"I am Rona, djinn of the lamp. What is your price for my freedom?" Their voice was raspy from centuries of unuse.

"I..." Cleo gulped, before gathering her courage to state her wish that she had thought long and hard about. "I wish to overcome my disease"

Rona smiled cruelly, revealing a row of pointed teeth.

"Very well then, you shall have your wish. Just know that eternal life is a curse, not a blessing..."

"Hold on, I didn't say anything about eternal life you-" before she could finish, Rona disappeared with a mighty wail and a rumble through the stone walls around them.

Cleo sat in shock for a moment, before brushing herself back off and walking out of the chamber.

"What do they mean eternal life isn't a blessing? This is gonna be brilliant..."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Years later, after outliving everyone she knew and loved, after her server collapsing in on itself and the spread of the zombie virus, after the loneliness of being the only one left alive, she understood what the djinn had meant, all those years ago.

Eternal life is a curse, not a blessing.

Have a stellar day,All you beautiful people~Jay