Part 43

Wanda's POV:

After Stark went to the other side of the group I went into the head of the guy with the clipboard. Nobody was paying any attention to me so I figured it was the perfect opportunity. Unfortunately the only thing I got out of the experience is how annoyed he is with us. I can't blame him as I'm about 3000% more annoyed then he is. Natasha notices and nudges my arm.

"Wanda, it's not doing anybody any good." I look at her, I know she's right but I ignore her.

I'm about to take the stupid clipboard out of his hands but before I can do so Peter shoots a web and it sticks to the back of the clipboard. He pulls it out of the guys hands while hanging upside down he reads what it says.

"We get food in 20 minutes." That's all he needs to say for the rest of us to let out satisfied noises. "Um, who said we would do an opening ceremony? And a press conference?" The noises we make stop when he says this. We look between Peter, the clipboard guy who seems completely unfazed, and Tony who looks just as shocked and pissed off as the rest of us. We turn our attention back to the clipboard guy.

I still don't trust this guy, I walk to the front of the group. Using my magic to push people away as necessary. "You, have some explaining to do." My accent has decided to re-appear, I could easily re-enter his mind but I decide to give him one last chance to explain.

"The press conference isn't until 2pm so you have plenty of time to do other stuff. I'm not the one who made the schedule but we are going to be late so please follow me." He walks away before anyone can respond. We stand there for a second before Cap starts moving, the rest of us follow behind him.

Natasha's POV:

I grab the clipboard from Peter and walk slightly faster to catch up to Steve. I continue to look over the endless list of things we are expected to do.

"They better have some damn strong coffee." I say and hand the list to Steve, he looks it over and turns his head to face me before looking forward again to where we are headed. We follow him into a large building where we head through a set of double doors into a large room with 2 large empty tables along with one in the back covered in food. There's another set of doors on one wall, the others walk in and look around the room. My eyes fall on the coffee pot in the corner.

We are left in the room and I head over to the food table grabbing a cup and pouring in a lot of coffee along with a small amount of milk and sugar. I grab a blueberry muffin and sit down on a plush seat putting my feet up on the table and crossing them. Everyone else in the room grabs something to eat and sits down as well, Tony tells Friday to let us know when somebody is coming so Peter can put his mask back on and keep his identity a secret. I noticed Tony place a small device on the door which I assume will stop all recordings and audio taking place. It may seem slightly paranoid, but can you blame us for being so?

I take a sip of my coffee and fall into conversation with Rhodey about what we think is actually going to happen today.

"I have a feeling." Rhodey says and takes a sip of his coffee.

"No way, definitely not. No, not going to happen." I shake my head and cross my arms over my chest.

"I am telling you, somebody is going to make a meme. One way or another, a meme will be created." Peter looks at us at Rhodey's words.

"I'm with Rhodey here, Nat. Don't underestimate the power of bored gen z." Peter says through bites of his bagel.

Tony chimes in, "That's true. One time I found a meme of Thor holding out his hand for his hammer and it had some stupid catch line about not being able to find it then it coming to him." Peter pulls out his phone.

"Is it this one?" He shows the screen to Tony who nods. "Oh yeah, that's like the easiest type of meme to make."

We continue to talk nonsense for the next few minutes before Friday informs us there are people coming. Peter puts his mask on, I take my feet off the table and everyone looks slightly more professional. Three men walk into the room.

"Alright, Avengers!" One of them says with an obvious fake smile on his face, "Thank you so much for being here today. We have a couple things to quickly go over and then we can get started." We all look at each other.

"Get started with what exactly?" I ask for the group, I lean forward in my chair so my arms are resting on the table.

The guy who spoke earlier replies, "Not much really, you all will be standing on a platform during the opening ceremony. With your permission of course." He adds the last part like it's an after thought.

Steve and I glance at each other, big smile guy continues talking and I zone out. I know Steve doesn't so I count on him to tell me later. Steve draws circles on my leg with his thumb making a small flash of a smile cover my face but i quickly cover it up. I look around the room, most of the team has zoned out as well, it's what usually happens when business people come. As far as we're concerned, we are back in a conference room at Avengers tower getting told off by Fury.

I tune back into the conversation just as they are about to leave. "Alright that's everything. Are there any questions?" Nobody says anything for a moment so he continues, "Perfect, if you could follow me please." We stand up and follow the 3 men as they leave the room and walk down a couple of hallways. I check the time, 8:45, the park will be opening soon.

"Alright, please line up and your cue will be said shortly." We nod and he walks away, we turn to Steve as none of us payed attention to what he said.

He sighs, "Line up, we walk up those stairs when someone calls us. There's going to be a crowd." We get into our usual formation.

"Well, I'd be disappointed if there wasn't." Stark says from his place on Steve's left. "Friday, lower Pete's senses, we don't need a sensory overload." Friday responds and lowers Peter's senses to a more normal level. We stand there for a couple minutes, Clint on my right, Steve on my left talking about nothing in particular.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls! The Avengers!" I'm guessing that's our cue as Steve takes the shield off his back and puts it on his arm as he starts up the stairs. We all follow him and are soon hit with a wall of noise, I'm instantly thankful that Tony thought to lower Peter's hearing as this would send it into overdrive.

We walk onto a large platform and I quickly scan the crowd. I see security in the back and front, nothing too out of the ordinary seems to be happening. I ignore the announcer and continue sweeping the perimeter. That's when I see someone on a nearby rooftop.

And they're holding a sniper riffle. Pointed at me.

Steve's POV:

I follow Natasha's line of sight. She hasn't moved a muscle in 47 seconds. Hasn't even breathed. She's looking at the roof of a building not far away. On that roof is someone with long blond hair. And a large gun. 

Without missing a beat I throw the shield.

A/N

would you look at that, another cliffhanger! I'm not going to have wifi for a couple days so the next chapter wont be posted until then, sorry. hope you enjoyed:)

-agirlwholikesmarvel1