She's My World

This is actually just a random fluff/angst fic with an OC daughter. I just couldn't get over the thought of Zemo having a surviving child. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The three men stop in their tracks as they see toys scattered about the room. This was supposed to be Zemo's safehouse, right...?

"Okay Zemo, who's house is this actually?" Sam was frustrated, and waiting for Zemo to backstab them. This man couldn't be trusted, and lying about the place they'd be staying in wasn't a good sign. 

"This is my safehouse. I don't know why the toys are still he-"

"Daddy!" A little girl ran out of one of the bedrooms, running up to Zemo and clutching onto his leg. Panic was evident in the man's eyes, but he quickly masked it. Kneeling down he hugged the girl back. 

"Liebling, what are you doing here? The nannies were supposed to take you back to the main estate." He held her tighter, as if she'd disappear if he let go. For the first time since Sam and Bucky broke him out, he genuinely looked scared

"Katie and Winnie said I needed to stay here. Said Uncle Oeznik would take me home." Of fucking course they did. Those two were great nannies most of the time, but pushed their duties onto anyone else given the chance. 

"I'm so sorry, mein schatz. I will talk to them later." He stood up with her in his arms, turning to the other two men. "These are my friends, Sam and James. They're going to be staying with us for a little while." His smile faltered and he paused, contemplating something. After a minute, he slowly spoke again. "Sam, James... This is my daughter, Natalia." 

They both looked at him with confusion. Bucky was the one to speak. "I didn't realize you had a daughter. And, uh... She looks younger than your prison sentence." The air became thick with uncomfortableness. Zemo stiffened and put Natalia down. 

"Liebling, I need you to go back to your room for me, okay? Close the door and pick an outfit for dinner." The small girl nodded, looking at the other two before running off to her room. The barron straightened, not quite looking at the others. "She was the only survivor..." 

"She was just a toddler. And she would've died with my wife and son if it not were for Oeznik. He had offered to take Natalia on a drive to get her to fall asleep. Five years later, prison guards tell me I have a phone call. It was Oeznik, panicking because Natalia has suddenly turned to dust, along with half of the household." He takes a shaking breath, eyes welling. "Losing her the first time, especially after her mother and brother, was the worst day of my life. It was a miracle when I heard everyone was back, including her. She's my world. All that's left of it. And she is the reason why I will continue my work." 

The silence hung heavy, all three men refusing to look at each other. How Zemo went about his plans was wrong, but he did if for his family. And who can honestly say they wouldn't do anything for their loved ones? 

Zemo went to Natalia's room, a big smile on his face as she showed him the princess dress she picked out. "It looks lovely on you, mein schatz. Want to help Daddy cook dinner? We can eat whatever you want tonight." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning Bucky was woken by a small hand poking his left arm. He opened his eyes to see Natalia staring at the metal. "Are you a cyborg? Is that why you sleep on the floor?" 

He huffs out a laugh. "Not exactly, and no. I sleep on the floor because furniture to me just feels funny when I try to sleep." He can't help but chuckle when her eyes widen and she gasps a little. 

"Like the Princess and the Pea?" 

"Uh, yeah. Something like that." He sits up and lets the girl keep poking at his metal arm. "Shouldn't you still be asleep? The sun's barely up." He receives a shrug. 

"I get up before the sun does. If I win against the sun, I can win against anyone, yes?" Definitely Zemo's kid. 

Speak of the devil, said man walked into the living room. He looks worried for a second, but smiles at his daughter and tells her to go pick out sprinkles for the pancakes. After she was out of earshot, Zemo knelt down next to Bucky. "What did you say to my daughter?" 

"She asked me why I was sleeping on the floor, and I asked her why she was up so early." He rolls his neck to stretch. "She's definitely your kid, even if she didn't get to see you for a few years. Only difference is that she doesn't have anything to hate yet." 

"And she probably won't hate anyone. She is full of mercy, unlike me." He stands, looking to the kitchen where Natalia is shaking a jar of orange sprinkles. Her brother's favorite. 

A hand clasps his shoulder, but he doesn't move. "I know you have your reasons for revenge. But there's other ways to go about it. Be a better man. For her. I'm sure she'd like to grow up with her dad by her side, not in some prison." 

Maybe Bucky was right. Maybe Zemo should change tactics. Or maybe it was a trick, so they'd be able to take him back easier. Either way, it made him think. And when his little girl turned to smile at him, he knew he had a choice to make. 

Keep his daughter safe, or stay with her.