I'm... Sweet? (Tooth-rotting Fluff)

A/N: Sorry if the Build-A-Bear part isn't really accurate. I've never been. Damn you, capitalism. And shitty exes that wouldn't take me there but bought their new girlfriends fucking cars.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zemo expected to be yelled at. Maybe punched. Either for saving you when you probably could've handled it on your own, or for killing the person attempting to kidnap you. Apparently killing was still an Avenger no-no even when a teammate is in danger. 

What he didn't expect was to feel a pair of lips on his cheek. 

"Thank you, Zemo. I know the others are upset, but it was sweet of you to think about my safety." He slowly lifted a hand to his cheek, hoping his face wasn't as pink as it felt. Sweet of him? He had never been described as 'sweet'. It felt... nice. 

He mumbled out a reply, praying the others hadn't seen any of this. "No need to thank me. Any sensible person would have done it." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two months and Zemo had done his best to forget about that incident. 

You insisting on spending time with him didn't help at all. 

It honestly shocked everyone when you started talking to him more. And hanging out with him outside of meetings or meal times. And inviting him to mall trips with the girls. It was really awkward at first, but it slowly became more comfortable. You were nice to talk to, and the girls didn't seem to mind him being there. 

They especially didn't mind when he started paying for them. 

"If you want it so bad, just use one of my cards." Everyone turned to stare at him. The group had been eyeing a collection of hoodies from a show you all loved. Wanda had something about it being overpriced, and you agreed saying you would buy one if wasn't so expensive. 

Nat was the first to speak. "What do you mean use one of your cards? They're $200 hoodies for a fantasy series." She was met with a shrug by him. 

"I have plenty of money, even with all the donations I make. And you all love the show. So buy the hoodies and whatever else you want." He noticed the look in you and Wanda's eyes. 

"Does that include a build-a-bear? Pietro and I always wanted to go there." 

"They're so cute and lovable! We could even make little versions of ourselves!" 

He chuckled and smiled. How cute. "Of course. I can give you my-" He let out a surprised noise as he was pulled by three sets of hands in the direction of the mentioned toy store. 

"The hoodies can wait. I need a picture of you holding a teddy bear. Tony owes me twenty bucks." Well, it wasn't like he was going to argue with Natasha. He didn't understand what him holding a stuffed bear had to do with a bet, but he didn't feel like being gutted right now. 

The trip to the store was fun. The three women bounced around like coffee addicted children, trying to make the most accurate bear versions of themselves. He helped with some outfit choices and stuffing the bears, happy to see your happy faces. Natasha got her picture, grinning like the Cheshire cat.  

After paying and leaving the store, he felt you grab his hand. He looked back and saw you holding out a bear to him. One that looked just like you. 

"For you. I know you like to be alone, but I can tell when you've had a bad nightmare. This way you can have someone to comfort you without actively seeking it." Zemo carefully took the teddy bear from you, looking at it closely. It was very kind and thoughtful of you. Of course it was. You had always been an angel. 

He noticed the button on one of the paws and pressed it. He could hear your voice coming from the toy. 'It's okay, I'm here. It was just a bad dream.' The look you gave him encouraged him to press it more. 'Breathe with me... That's it... Calming our breathes', 'Do you need a hug?', 'I'm here with you. Everything will be alright.' 

Softly stroking the bear, he smiled and looked up at you. He was sure his unshed tears were visible. "Thank you... It's perfect." 

You match his smile. "Anything for my sweet Helmut." Did he hear that correctly? Was something stuck in his ears? He was still a little dumbfounded when you wrapped your arm around his, leading him to walk behind the others. That's when he noticed another bear in your arms. 

One that wore a familiar coat. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Five months and your friendship had already grown stronger. As well as whatever else was going on between the two of you. Zemo had grown accustomed to being called sweet, and had even started calling you nicknames. Your favorite one so far seemed to be 'darling'. Anyone outside of the team would think you two were married. 

As that thought occupied him for the hundredth time that day, you sat down next to him on porch swing. Bear-on Zemo (as you had dubbed him) on your lap. "So. I noticed you added a voice box at some point." He smiled at you fondly. 

"Yes." He paused. "...So what do you think...?" 

A soft, joyful smile comes across your features. "I think you're even sweeter than I thought." You lean in, looking up into his eyes. "Is it okay to see if your kisses are as sweet?" 

His heart probably would've exploded then and there. "Absolutely." He met you half way, melting into the kiss. This must be what heaven feels like. All gentle, happy feelings. All worries and negativities floating away. Just the smooth sugar and honey of a blossoming love. 

Just sweetness.