The Colonel

A/N: This is how Colonel Zemo & the reader met. Fluffy with a little bit of subtle angst. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You huff as you try to readjust the grocery bags in your arms, struggling to keep a steady pace. Just as you think you're about to drop a bag, a man runs up and offers to help. "Here, let me help you carry these." 

You try to say you're fine, but he insists. "It's getting dark out anyways. Better to be escorted home then get in trouble for being out past curfew." That's when you noticed his uniform. He was a soldier. And he was right, if you didn't get home soon you could be reprimanded for breaking curfew. 

"Thank you..." He gives you a confused look, then looks away in embarrassment as he finally realizes you were asking for a name. You could've sworn there was even a slight flush to his face. Could've just been from the running and heat, though. 

"My name's Helmut." Only a first name is given. No last name, rank, division. Either he really wanted to be left alone after this or he just joined. You look him over, noticing the uniform was specific to division, but didn't say anything about it. 

"My name's (Y/N). Nice to meet you, Helmut." The small smile you get in return would make any woman swoon. It's honestly surprising there's no visible wedding ring. He seems really sweet, and he's definitely handsome. 

The walk to your apartment was filled with small talk, and some discussion about the revolutionaries. It wasn't a lie that Sokovia had been pretty bad for a long time, but the revolution was misguided. Seeking destruction instead of reform. Helmut even admitted he only joined the military in hopes of pushing for reform. 

"If you don't mind me asking; how would you achieve that in EKO Scorpion?" 

He stops walking for a second, but continues after gathering his thoughts. "Leading a team like that, I can do my best to make sure innocents are not harmed. A lot of the revolutionaries are just teenagers being manipulated. Misguided, and fed up with the government doing nothing to help. I can at least assure most of them will live." 

It was a good motive, and he obviously cared a lot about his people, but what threw you off was the word 'leading'. Before you could ask, a vehicle with soldiers pulled up next to the two of you. More men from EKO Scorpion. 

"Hey Colonel! Having a nice night with your girl?" Wait, Colonel? 

Helmut's face must've turned three different shades of red. "No. I am simply making sure a young woman gets home safely, that is all. I do not have a 'girl'." He did his best to stay looking forward as he continued to get teased. 'Why don't you ask her out?', 'She's as pretty as can be', 'If you're not going to ask her out I will'. That last one must've irritated him, because he ordered them to continue their patrol or they'd be written up. They drove off, all jokingly going 'Oooooo~'. 

You laugh under your breath at the antics. "So you're a colonel, huh?" The man looks even more embarrassed than before. 

"Yes... I didn't want to freak out. I have a... reputation." You were still confused as to who exactly he was. You shrug, getting your keys out to open your door. 

"Thank you for walking me home and helping carry the bags. I really appreciate it." You kiss his cheek quickly, opening the door to put the bags just inside. As you take the last of the bags from him, he clears his throat and shuffles his feet a bit. 

"I know you most likely already have someone, but I was wondering if you'd like to go to the dance hall tomorrow. With me. Soldiers are supposed to bring dates to the event, and..." He shut his mouth, not wanting to humiliate himself if you declined. 

You smile warmly. "I'd love to go with you, Helmut." He smiles back, giving your hand a quick kiss before telling you where to meet him and wishing you a goodnight. 

"Oh, and just ask for Colonel Zemo." With that he disappeared down the street, and the information started to sink in. 

Colonel. 

Helmut. 

Zemo.

You just agreed to a date with the baron's son.