Our Love Story (Young!Zemo)

A/N: Kind of a song fic. Based on the idea that Sokovia was an actual monarchy rather than a barony. Barons and their family are the lowest rank of official royal status. (Everything else below is only above common people because they serve royalty.) This would mean the Zemo's are at the bottom the royal line in Sokovia, outranked by ever other royal status. This would also mean lavish balls and political events that all royalty, aristocracy, politicians, and other wealthy citizens would be expected to attend. These events are often where parents will introduce their children to the person they're expected to marry at some point, or will encourage their children to try to gain the attention of a specific person of power. A baron heir can't really compare to a prince or duke. 

The Honorable = title given to son or daughter of a baron until they have inherited the title of baron or baroness. 'Miss' is also used for daughters.

Lady = Can refer to any aristocratic woman below duchess and above honorable/miss. Can also be used to refer to the wife of a lord, baron, or knight. 

If Zemo's wife did not hold a title of her own and survived past his father, she would most likely be referred to as Lady Zemo rather than Baroness Zemo. Since Zemo did not hold the title of baron before his family's deaths, he and his wife were most likely referred to as 'the honorable'.  The title most likely wouldn't change if Zemo married above his rank, but a woman marrying a man of lower rank is commonly seen as a disgrace no matter if the title changes or not.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 He remembered the first time he saw you. It was at his cousin's 14th birthday party, the summer breeze coming in from the open balcony doors. It was only for a few moments, but your beauty and melodious laugh caught his attention immediately. Unfortunately his father ushered him away, talking about how he needed to pay attention for when his birthday came. He was going to be entering society soon as a young man. 

He hoped he'd get to see you again soon. 

Two years later he saw you again. The debutante ball was packed with royalty and aristocracy, most of whom he barely spoke to. The girls were pretty, but he couldn't stop thinking about the one on the balcony with the cute laugh. 

"Introducing Lady (Y/N) (L/N), accompanied by..." It was you. You looked different, more mature, but it was definitely you. You were gorgeous. 

And alone. Your date must have ditched. 

Without thinking, he quickly came to the bottom of the stairs, nodding and holding out his arm. He loved the way your eyes lit up and a blush came across your face. The announcer looked surprised, but continued. "Accompanied by the Honorable Helmut Zemo." 

Helmut smiled at you as you took his arm, allowing him to lead you into the room. All eyes were on you, as they should be. You were beautiful enough to charm a thousand kingdoms. But he could feel two sets of eyes on him. He knew his father must be angry for not being told beforehand what he was going to do. The other set of eyes must be the lady's father. Who your date was when you entered society was important. Being introduced with a stranger would start rumors. 

"Thank you, your honorable. You're very kind to save me from that embarrassment." You spoke different from what he had imagined. Even more charming than he could think of. 

"I only did what any gentleman should do. Leaving a lady to accompany herself is disrespectful. I am surprised no one else stepped forward, especially at the chance to accompany someone so beautiful." It was delightful seeing your blush deepen. 

"You're as kind and flirtatious as the rumors I have heard. I'm honestly surprised you weren't already accompanying a young lady tonight." You smiled at him as the two of you took your place with the rest of the debutantes. 

It was his turn to blush. "I- I may have turned them down in hopes of seeing you." At your raised brow, he nervously continued. "I saw you two years ago at the young earl's birthday party. You were the prettiest girl I've ever seen. Still are." 

Your grip on his arm tightens a little. "I'm flattered, Honorable Zemo." 

"Please, call me Helmut, Lady (L/N)." 

"Only if you call me (Y/N)." 

The two of you share a shy smile, feeling the start of something. 

From afar, two fathers were fuming. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A year has gone by, and the two love birds have done everything to see each other. Your father was insisting you court the prince, and Helmut's father insisted he focus on his duties, so your visits had to be in secret. Not that either of you were too good at hiding your relationship. 

How many times had he consoled you on a back staircase, whispering promises of an unknown future together? How many times had you been in plain sight if someone simply looked in the corner? 

It didn't matter. Both of you were just happy to spend any time together. Which was why his lips were on yours in the back gardens, trying to get as much touch as possible before going back to the dinner. How he had managed to excuse himself without his or your father questioning it was a mystery. 

"I don't want to leave you, Helmut." 

"I know. But you're expected to accompany Prince Frederick tonight." 

"It's not fair. You're my prince." 

Helmut brushes his thumbs along your cheeks, smiling softly. "I know, and you're my princess. We'll be together eventually. But for now we have to play along." He kisses your forehead. 

"I love you." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Four months. Four months of planning. Four months of begging. You had a plan to run away with Helmut, knowing after the prince's proposal that it was your only option left. You had asked him to meet you in your family's gardens, dressed more like the Americans on TV. 

He finds you by the fountain. Before you can say anything, he kisses you and starts talking. "Remember that future we talked about? About getting married and raising a family together when we're older?" 

You nod in confusion. "Yes. We can do that after we find somewhere to go-" 

He kneels down on one knee, looking into your shocked eyes. He pulls a ring from his pocket, one you recognize. It had been his mother's engagement ring. She wore it in her portraits. 

"Marry me, (Y/N). We can have that life together, here." 

"What?" 

"I spoke to your father. He changed his mind and agreed to give us his blessing." 

You lean down and kiss him, happier than ever. "Then yes, Helmut. I'll marry you." He smiles against your lips and stands, slipping the ring onto your finger. You pull back and make a confused face. "But what made him change his mind? He was so against you." 

Your fiancé shifts nervously, his eyes showing hesitation. He decides to speak, not quite looking you in the eye. "I joined the military... An honorable, or baron, doesn't have much respect among his peers. But add a military ranking and they suddenly have something over other royals." He shrugs. "Still not as high ranking as a prince, but it was enough to gain your father's respect." 

You cup his face, making him look you in the eyes. "As long as you're happy doing it. If not, plan b is still ready to go." You'd do anything to keep him happy. You never wanted to his smile fade. 

"It is an honor to serve my country. Especially if it means keeping you safe." And he meant it. He may not have much hope for Sokovia, but he'd do anything to protect you and his people. This was home. You were home. He wanted everyone to know how much he loved you. 

Too bad the wedding wouldn't be aired.