Devoted (Fluff & A Smidge of Angst)

Zemo liked giving you gifts and doing things for you. It was small at first, but not unnoticeable. Offering you a drink, or to hold something for you. Opening every single door for you. Every. Single. Door. Telling you to keep the outfit you wore to Selby's. 

Then he asked you to dance at Sharon's party. A bit odd, but it was a good way to keep an eye on him. And he was pretty handsome, even if his dance moves were very... European grandpa. What you didn't expect was for him to take you to the side and pull out a bracelet. It was a beautiful silver, with a plate that said 'Du bist schöner als die Sonne und stärker als die Götter'. 

You look up as he gently clasps it around your wrists. "Thank you..." He smiles softly at you, kissing your hand before heading back to the dancefloor. You stay where you are, holding your wrist to your chest. It'd been a very long time since you were given something nice, let alone something with a nice meaning. 

You'd been trying to focus on the mission, suppressing all emotion to push through. You hadn't noticed the warmth blooming in your chest around the man. He was charming, and kind despite his past actions. He seemed to genuinely care for others wellbeing. Well, as long as they weren't part of a supremacist movement. And he seemed... warm. It was dulled, more like the last embers of a fire, but it was there.

"Hey, you okay?" You jump at the sound of Bucky's voice, quickly dropping your hands. 

"Y-yeah." You cough and fidget in place, not wanting to meet your friend's eyes. Falling for a war criminal was one thing. But the man who hurt one of your friends? A friend that you'd grown close to. A friend you should be interested in, instead of the man who manipulated him. 

Bucky must've noticed your guilt-ridden look in the flashing lights. "What happened? Did Zemo say something to you? If he hurt you, I'll-" 

"No, I'm fine. I just need some air." 

You push your way through the crowds, heading out onto a balcony. You hear two, no, three sets of footsteps behind you. One of them is farther away. Probably just a client of Sharon's. 

You turn to face your friends, both of them looking worried. Bucky takes a few steps forward, but falters to a stop. Sam slowly approaches. "You know you can tell us anything. We won't be mad." 

"Yes you will..." 

Sam huffed out a laugh at that. "We're part of a team that nearly all former and current members have committed some type of war crime. Whatever it is, we won't be mad." 

Bucky speaks up, pointing to the bracelet. "What's that? You didn't have it on when we came down to the party." The man next to him takes notice too, brows furrowed in confusion. Both wait for your answer, everyone standing still. 

"Zemo gave it to me.... By the dancefloor..." 

"Is that why you were upset? What, does it have some sick mind game shit on it?" The super soldier grabs your wrist, pulling it up to get a better look at the jewellery. He frowns as he reads the words. "You... you were upset... because he gave you a gift? An actual gift, with compliments engraved on it?" 

"Say what now?" Sam walks over, taking a look. "I can't read German." 

"It says 'You are more beautiful than the sun, and stronger than the gods'." 

"Aw, that's actually kinda cute. Weird that it came from Zemo, but cute." 

They both look at you, amused yet sympathetic smiles on their faces. "Did you think we'd be mad because it's from him?" 

You retract your hand back to you, not sure how to feel right now. "I... I feel guilty. I was a little too happy about the bracelet. That he gave it to me. He hurt you." You look up and see those same smiles, but they're softer this time. 

Bucky puts a hand on your shoulder. "I'm getting past that. He genuinely seems to be trying to get better. He even apologized to me earlier. For both the past, and what happened at Selby's."

Sam interjects. "Yeah, he seems okay now. I still don't trust him, and he is going back to prison after this, but I'll support you if you want to start something with him. It's definitely not smart too, and I'll kick his ass if he makes you cry, but I'll support you." 

You smile and hug them close. "Thank you, guys. I think I really like this one. He's sweet as can be and makes me happy."

None of you noticed the baron standing by the door, blushing and holding a hand to his heart. This hadn't been the plan. You were supposed to be a means to an end. A way to help him escape another sentence. But... he had started noticing things about you. Things that made his heart skip a beat. He didn't realize it until after he gave you the bracelet, but he truly meant every word engraved on it. 

And now he didn't know what to do. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It wasn't much better on the flight to Riga. Your smile made his heart pound, and in a good way. You were accepting his small offers and gifts. Snacks, water, a spare jacket he had. He insisted you keep it, and surprisingly you accepted. It made him happy he could make you happy with these small things. That he could keep seeing your smile. 

Fuck. He wasn't supposed to fall for you. But he hadn't felt like this in a long time, and everything about you screamed perfection. Even now he knew he would destroy Heaven and Earth if it would make you happy. 

It was pathetic. And there was some shame buried deep inside, but this... puppy love... overshadowed it. And yes, that is exactly what he felt like. A puppy, following you around and staying close. He even let you pet his hair in the car. Because he's a pathetic dog that can apparently be handled by the smallest touch. 

He could tell Sam and James were overly pleased by these events. Because the more he wanted - no, needed - to stay with you, the less likely he was to run off and escape.  Again, there was a sense of shame building within him. But he looked up from your shoulder to see that smile again, and a sense of safety and calm came over him. 

He couldn't help the smile that came across his face as you took in Riga, eyes wide with awe. You spoke well with the locals, still polite and smiling when they didn't have any information. You were kind to the children, and did what you could to make them laugh. You'd be great with their children. 

Fuck, no- That's not- 

Zemo's panic lessens when you take his hand in yours, the one with the bracelet, and smile gently at him. "Are you okay, Helmut?" Followed by a hesitant and ever so gentle kiss, like whispers of love story. 

That was it. 

He was dead. 

He'd fallen too far, and now he was dead from the emotions swelling inside him. He didn't care if it was pathetic or weak anymore, he wanted to give you everything you wanted and deserved. He wanted to be by your side even if it hurt. He wanted to hold onto you like he was dying and had only a few minutes left with you. He wanted to ensure you never felt like you weren't enough. 

He was utterly devoted. 

"Yes."