Chapter 7

Third person pov

Naruto was ignored for the most part. Whispered about vaguely, but the blonde boy cheerfully ignored it whilst laboring hard at his schoolwork. Pakkun watched him try to work through it, tapping his arm with his paw anytime he started to stray. Naruto would stop and stare at the issue, and then look at Iruka's problem on the board, and then look back again. 

It was a slow going process. His classmates were already far surpassing him, scribbling down the answers with ease and asking their neighbors for help whenever necessary. Pakkun simply hummed to himself a little, watching Naruto slowly work through the first problem at a pace equivalent to a snail's. What kind of math were they trying to teach kids these days? They were like, five

They were on some sort of addition. The long kind that forced you to carry. Overall, it shouldn't have been all too hard. Naruto still struggling, losing count every so often or jumbling things up without meaning to. Pakkun let him work through it and only stepped in when strictly needed. Naruto wouldn't ever learn if he held his hand the entire time. 

It was nice that, even with his struggles, Naruto didn't actually seem to want his constant help, stubbornly resisting asking unless he was truly stumped. He was quite determined to get this on his own and to truly learn. Pakkun was glad the kid had drive. 

Naruto finished his first math problem proudly, looking down at Pakkun with wide, hopeful eyes. Pakkun usually wasn't big on kids. They were grabby brats who were too obnoxious for their own good. Naruto had proved himself to be an exception. In what way, Pakkun wasn't sure, but he and the rest of the pack adored the kid after only a few days of knowing him.

He was the cutest pup Pakkun had ever seen. Loud, sure, but most young tended to be. At least he appreciated how hard Pakkun worked to keep his coarse coat feeling silky and soft. Maybe it was the blonde's blatant flattery, or the way he carried Pakkun everywhere with him. The pug was going to bite anyone who messed with the boy either way.

"Good work, kid." Pakkun praised quietly. Naruto let out a small gasp as the dog offered forth his paw, taking it carefully and squishing at his paw pads lightly. Pakkun nodded in satisfaction as the blonde vibrated in his seat, hugging the pug slightly in his excitement before tackling the next problem on his page with newfound vigor. 

Pakkun felt his pride swell. They had such a smart pup. That's what was expected of Minato's son, he supposed. He couldn't wait to tell Boss the good news when he came to get them later. Naruto was learning at an exceptional rate. He wasn't as far behind as they'd originally worried he might be.

Naruto took on question two with fresh confidence, only messing up a few times before he got it. It was much smoother sailing from there on out. He blazed through the assignment so fast his pencil was practically smoking, only having to stop when he accidentally mixed his numbers up. If Pakkun had eyebrows, he would've raised them at the sheer speed. 

Personally, Pakkun couldn't wait to let Minato know all about how well the pup had done. And tattle on his teacher, who was very clearly avoiding Naruto. His classmates weren't much better, sometimes shooting glares at him and giggling in the cruel way most children did. Naruto seemed too used to it to notice. Pakkun couldn't say he was a fan of that. 

He wondered how much trouble he'd get into for biting a child. Surely not too much, right? Maybe he'd get the chance to find out...

They broke for lunch after a few basic lectures and activities Naruto had to do with Pakkun for lack of a group to work with. Naruto had raised his hands a few times in class, and Pakkun took note that Iruka completely ignored him when he did. Didn't even bother trying to call on him, even if he was the only one with his hand up.