Chapter 17

Third person pov

Scheduling Naruto an appointment with one of the Yamanaka clan's best counselors didn't take long. He'd expected his son to act differently after their conversation, but he was just the same as always. A ball of seemingly boundless energy, all smiles and bright eyes. Minato couldn't stop his sugary fondness from seeping out of him, despite the inner turmoil their chat had sparked. The realization of just how much his son had been depraved of sparked ungodly rage in him.

Maybe he should talk to someone too. Having this much pent up resentment towards the village and people you preside over probably wasn't healthy, right? Minato wanted to be the best possible dad for Naruto, that was all. He clearly wasn't meeting the mark. Naruto didn't even... just thinking about it made Minato want to cry, really. His own son, not realizing he was loved, and that he was going to get to stay in their home together. Minato felt sick. His own son had thought it was all temporary. And Minato hadn't even realized!

He hadn't wanted to go to work today. If Minato could've had it his way, he'd be at home, coloring at the table with Naruto. His son deserved all of his time and then some. Minato'd missed six crucial years of Naruto's life and he didn't intend on missing another minute more if it could be helped. Had Naruto been put off kilter by their talk the day prior, he wouldn't have hesitated to sequester them into the house, not to be disturbed. 

It was only through Naruto's optimistic resilience and insistence that 'I have to go to school so I can learn and become a super cool ninja like you, believe it!' that got Minato to walk him to the Academy. It felt like sending him off to war instead of just to school. He'd wanted to chase after him, wrap him in a big hug, and cry until they both felt better. 

"The Kazekage wants to meet?" Minato struggled to keep his voice from rising in pitch Kakashi snorted quietly behind his mask, earning himself a sharp look from the Suna representative who'd traveled to confirm Minato's revival. News of his return hadn't stayed confined in the Leaf for long. Word had leeched past the gates in no time at all, spreading from the mouths of excited shinobi, travelers, and merchants alike. It made sense that their ally would wish to confer with him, but that didn't make it any less of an inconvenient time. "Like, now?"

"Yes, Lord Hokage. He requests an audience with you as soon as you are able. There are... tensions within the Sand Village that prevent him from leaving for long periods of time. He sends his utmost apologies, but implores you to consider a brief voyage so he can see you with his own eyes and further discuss the future of the treaty between our villages." The ambassador said levelly. Minato had to admit that he was great at his job. Which was awesome for Suna, but sucked for him considering the guy's attempts to sway him were sort of working.

Did they also have an ambassador somewhere? Minato should probably find out about that. It's not his fault he's been too distracted by Danzo's meddling and Naruto's cuteness to contact other villages! It had been the last thing on his mind, what with the domestic terrorism and fact that his quote-on-quote "beloved" village had been verbally, physically, and psychologically abusing his son in his absence. 

"Right, yes. Of course. Do you happen to know... why he can't voyage here? I would love to reacquaint myself with Lord Rasa as soon as possible, but you must understand that the Leaf is still adjusting to my return. I've only just come back, and there's a lot for me to catch up on." Minato gave his best smile and tried to keep his speech somewhat formal, wondering how Naruto's day was going. He hoped his son was having a fun day at school. He wondered if he'd bring home another drawing for him to frame. Such a little artist. He got it from Kushina, Minato was pretty certain. 

"Ah. I'm not entirely sure the reason, but it is a matter of... civilian security." The ambassador said, looking like he'd just sucked a lemon. Which was a pretty clear sign to Minato that this guy knew exactly what was going on over there. It had to be serious if the Kazekage wasn't willing to leave, which was a blaring red flag in Minato's expert opinion. "In fact, that is another reason the Kazekage wished to meet with you. He was hoping you might be privy to the location of one of your past associates, the Sannin and Seal Master, Jiraiya. His and your expertise would be... appreciated."