Chapter 34

Third person pov

Have you ever been set on fire? No? Yeah, Naruto never has been either, but he's pretty sure it'd feel exactly like this if he had. 

The pain is nearly unbearable. Naruto has always had a high tolerance against harm, but this is sharp, jolting agony that spikes down all his limbs. It's different than anything he's ever felt in his life, like his skin is being flayed right off the bone, layer by layer of muscle painstakingly peeled away.

It's basically like, the worst thing he's ever felt in his entire life to summarize. Considering the absolute shit he's been through in his short six years on this Earth? Honestly saying something. Naruto knows that Kurama is supposed to be all powerful, but god damn.

It's over as soon as it starts, which is some solace, though not much. Fire racing across his skin and then nothing at all, which leaves him reeling and wondering if maybe he imagined it all. He would almost think so if not for the way his entire body seemed to rattle, his skin abuzz from the sensation of Kurama's chakra turning from comfortably warm to absolutely scalding. 

His eyes pop open and he gasps for air. There's a dark figure looming over him that jerks back as Naruto rapidly blinks to try and get his vision to adjust. For a second, he struggles to remember what he's even doing here.

The building he and Shikamaru escaped from is visible, proof that they indeed did not make it as far as they'd hoped. And the man responsible is... 

Well. He's standing there, staring at Naruto like he doesn't believe he's actually awake. He's butt-ugly, looking a little like Sasuke. If Sasuke were about twice as old and had been beat with a metal mallet as a child. The single, swirling red eye really helps him image.

For a moment, neither of them move or speak. Naruto's not embarrassed to say he gawks a little bit. What can he say? He's six years old, he's allowed to be in shock.

This other guy though? Humiliating. A six year old wakes up from your honestly not very interesting illusion and all he does is stand there? Strangely close, too. As if catching little kids wasn't bad enough, the proximity makes it worse. 

Another moment passes. Naruto realizes right about then, as he comes down from his adrenaline high and the pulsing aches in his limbs start to buzz out, that he should probably do something. Even if his head is spinning and his temples are pounding, he really doesn't want to risk getting put under a second time.

Because then Kurama would have to wake him up again. And that kind of pain twice? Not on his agenda.

The man's expression twists. It makes him look even uglier, if you were wondering. Definitely ingrained in Naruto's brain now! If he wasn't scarred for life before (disclaimer: he was, this sucks ass) then he definitely is now!

"Shi-" The Great Value Sasuke starts to say. Naruto does the only logical thing he can think of in the moment. He reels his foot back as far as it can go and slams it right up into the guy's crotch with every ounce of force he can muster.

It's a cheap shot, but you know what else is a cheap shot? Putting two kids under a genjutsu while they're already escaping an abduction. Kidnapping already kidnapped kids has got to be some double whammy, ticket straight to hell move. 

The kick works at least. The probably-Uchiha, probably-Sasuke's-relative-because-he-sucks-so-obviously-they're-related, lets out a high pitched sound that reminds Naruto a little of that time he nailed that white haired pervert stalker dude in the back of the head with a ceramic plate. 

Naruto doesn't waste any time. He rolls off to the side and pops to his feet, ignoring the protesting of his legs.

Shikamaru is laying prone off to the left. Behind him, the Uchiha guy stumbles, letting out another keening noise. This one sounds angrier than the last which is probably not a great sign, but fuck him. Naruto hopes his ability to have children is dead and fucking gone.