Chapter 31

Third person pov

Ayumu's interview with Kurama goes better than Naruto though it would. It would help if the fox wasn't a massive dick bag, but beggars can't be choosers. Naruto's just glad he didn't try to eat anyone, or start pissing chakra.

His parents at least seem on board.. ish. His mom, because (again) she's a total and complete badass, seems more at peace with Kurama than his dad does. Seriously, the guy looks like he's on the verge of a mental breakdown. If Kurama was going to kill Naruto, he'd have done it ages ago! 

Ayumu's therapist mode proves to be pretty efficient as far as moving things along goes. It's like he becomes another person entirely. It's actually kind of fascinating to watch. Even Kurama doesn't seem to know how to respond to it, and Kurama knows like, practically everything.

He's a begrudging participant. Probably because he doesn't want to deal with Naruto complaining about his lack of cooperation later. Jokes on him: if there's something to whine about, Naruto will always find it.

"Do you love Naruto?"

"Don't ask stupid questions."

"What sorts of things do you talk to him about?"

"None of your business, roach."

"What is your relationship like when it's just you two?"

"He talks a lot, I tell him to shut up, and then he keeps talking."

"What are your long term goals?"

"To never see your ugly mug again."

"Why flowers?"

"Why would I know that? Ask the brat."

"Do you plan to act on your ill will towards the village?"

"Do you plan to keep wasting my time?"

"You claimed Naruto was more your six year old than anyone else's. Can you elaborate on that?"

"What the hell is there to elaborate on? I thought I told you to stop with the stupid questions."

Overall, it's like, a super productive interview! Kurama is slightly less mean than Naruto assumed he would be, and he's not even that upset over the whole rat thing. Naruto's honestly flattered. Kurama must like him way, way more than Naruto originally thought he did. 

They don't stay long. Naruto wants to-- wants to flop down into the new grass, surrounded by all the flowers, and tell Kurama about everything that had happened in the past few days. Kurama had saved his life, had protected him when there was no one else there to. Naruto wants to hug him forever and ever.

Naruto wonders, vaguely, how he got so lucky. Two parents back against all odds, and the best friend he ever, ever could've asked for. It's almost too good. He wonders what terrible thing is going to happen next to balance it out!

One of Kurama's tails steadily snakes it's way out as it grows closer to time to leave. His dad and Ayumu eye it warily, and his mom with a slight frown, but Naruto can't resist leaping onto it with a grin. It seems softer somehow, and Naruto wonders if the lightening atmosphere is somehow healthier for the tailed beast.

"Naruto." His dad says, distress tainting his tone. Kurama snorts, head resting on his paws. He looks impossibly smug, grinning with all his teeth. He seems tired, but relaxed. At peace, maybe. 

Naruto understands. Something feels lighter, knowing that there's no secret hanging in the air anymore. It's all out in the open, and Naruto breathes a little easier knowing that they're all on the same page. Knowing that Kurama knows he's loved, and that he's accepted. Knowing that his parents don't... well, don't seem like they're as against him as they were coming in.