Chapter 25

Third person pov

The session with Ayumu is more informal than the ones they had back in Konoha. Naruto sits cross legged on a pillow across from the man, beaming a grin in response to the kind smile he's given. There hasn't been much time to hang out with Ayumu with all that's been going on, but the man's still been diligent in his note taking and advice-giving.

They're closed up in one of the backrooms of the guest house they were given to stay in. Naruto wasn't sure where his dad had gone, but Kashi was just outside, watching over Gaara whilst the redhead napped. He'd been doing that a lot lately. Probably catching up on all the sleep he'd missed over the past couple of years. If Naruto were in his shoes, he'd probably just fall straight into a coma.

"You've had a pretty busy week, Naruto." Ayumu points out invitingly. A pretty open understatement. Busy doesn't even begin to cover it. Every ramen stand in Suna isn't going to try itself, after all. And there was the whole sealing thing too but whatever. "Any updates you want to share? I know you've made a real friend in Gaara. How's that make you feel?"

That was one of Ayumu's favorite questions as of late. He was always asking Naruto how certain things made him feel, and then he was writing those things down. Naruto didn't really know why, but he figured Ayumu did and that was sort of the whole point anyway. As long as one of them knew what the hell was going on.

This week had been one of the best of Naruto's life, beat out perhaps only by the nights he spent with Kurama and the moments his dad would scoop him up and spend time with him. Gaara felt like, as Ayumu had said, a real friend. Like someone Naruto could genuinely connect with on some deep level most could never hope to reach or begin to understand. There was a kinship there-- like maybe Gaara was his brother in the same way his tailed beast was Kurama's. 

Kurama had been brighter. Not just in the way he talked more and the way he poked his snout out from between the bars, but his fur had a healthier sheen, not such a dull orange. It wasn't so scruffy, soft and shiny and so silky Naruto wished he could spend a lifetime faceplanted in it. His ears spent more time perked up than they did pressed down, expressively twitching and swaying when he spoke.

He just seemed... happier. And that made Naruto happy. Seeing his friend smile, his red eyes crinkling and snout scrunching. He didn't talk a ton. More than usual, but for the most part he just hummed along to whatever Naruto was saying, watching him with eyes that were softer than Naruto thought possible from the old fox.

It was blissful. The elation that filled Naruto seeing Kurama so content-- he felt like he was really getting closer to giving him the home and life he deserved. Maybe he couldn't be free right now, but Naruto wanted to have a healthy mind for him to stay in if that was the case. He wanted to be the best friend he could, and he wanted Kurama to know that he was worth it! Each day was a step nearer to that goal.

"Well, Gaara and I are best friends forever. But you already knew that." Naruto rubbed his hands together gleefully. "You better get your pen ready though, Ayumu. You're not gonna believe this. Not only has the water in my brain sewer gotten less murky, Kurama and I have eleven flowers now. Eleven of them!" 

These days, it felt as though Naruto could feel Kurama even when he was awake. He was a warm ball in the center of his chest, a constant comfort and presence. Naruto wasn't sure what that meant, but it didn't seem like a bad thing. If anything, it just indicated that Kurama wasn't sleeping so much. And wasn't that a good thing? That he was more alert?

Ayumu perked up at his words. His pale eyes shone as Naruto struggled not to all but vibrate out of his seat in his excitement. Everything was just-- it was amazing. Kurama was teaching him so many new things. Naruto could make clones now! Not the illusion ones they taught at the academy, but real, solid clones! Apparently Naruto had a lot of chakra and that's why he was able to make them-- who knew!