thirty-five

< Tuesday >

{ Calum  }

I didn't have anything for the band today which meant Landyn got to stay home with me while Maddie was at work. He loves when Crystal watches him, but we've found he likes staying here too.

I came back inside from doing a workout, seeing it was just past noon and definitely time for lunch. I headed to my office/studio where Landyn was doing preschool, lightly knocking before walking in. I've been letting him use my Mac because he says it's easier to use because it's bigger than the iPad.

"Hey buddy" I spoke, making him spin around in my chair, "You wanna eat some lunch?"

"Yeah" he nodded, spinning back to the computer as I walked up behind him, "I gotta finish first"

I nodded and watched him play the spelling game. It would give him a little three letter word and he had to find all the letters. He's been doing the ABC Mouse thing and he absolutely loves it.

As soon as he finished, I logged him off and he ran to the kitchen in front of me,

"What do you want to eat?" I asked opening the fridge as Landyn hopped up on the barstool at the counter,

"Turkey sandwich" he nodded proudly, "and apple sauce and a juice box"

I smiled and grabbed what I needed- turkey, cheese, mayo, and bread- and had him grab his juice box and apple sauce pouch.

I put his lunch in front of him, going to make mine but stopped when my phone buzzed, a text coming in from Michael's friend Bennett,

-messages-

Bennett: [ hey man, I've got three extra tickets to the LA Galaxy soccer game tonight.
It's at 7:00. You guys wanna go? ]

[ Yeah! Thanks man!
Landyn has soccer practice
until 6:15 but we can go there after ]

Bennett: [ awesome! I'll send
you the tickets through Seat Geek ]

[ Thanks ]

————

I knew Landyn was going to like this,

"Why you smiley? Did Mommy text you?" Landyn asked as he took a bite,

"Not Mommy. Do you remember Bennett?"

Landyn nodded,

"He gave us tickets to the pro soccer game. So me, you, and Mommy are going to go after soccer practice"

Landyn gasped and started cheering,

"We gots to find my jersey!?" he went to run to his room but I stopped him,

"Eat your lunch first then we will find it. I think Mommy put it in your closet"

****

I just finished helping Landyn put his clothes, socks, shin guards, and cleats on as Maddie walked in, rushing to our room to change so we could go. I quickly filled Landyn's water bottle and sent him to the car in the garage,

"Why's Landyn wearing his Galaxy jersey?" Maddie came back out, pecking my lips and grabbing Landyn's soccer bag while I grabbed him extra shoes for after,

"Oh shoot, I forgot to text you" I laughed nervously as we got in my Range Rover, "Bennett gave us his extra tickets to the game tonight"

"Aww that was nice" Maddie took my hand, her engagement ring sparkling in the sun that was shining in the windshield.

****

We got to the soccer fields and guided Landyn up as Maddie looked around, finding his group. We walked over and the head coach, who was one of the dad's, approached,

"I'm so glad to have Landyn again" he laughed as he hugged Maddie then turned to me, "Hi. I don't know if we've met. I'm Kyle. I'm Trent's dad"

"Calum" I shook his hand,

"Ah yes. Landyn's told me. You know, I could use an extra coach. Landyn told me you played"

Maddie nudged my arm and I exhaled. I looked over at Landyn who was happily kicking around,

"I guess I could help. There may be times I won't be in town though because of my job"

"No worries man. You don't even have to start until next week"

He then went off with the kids,

"You're gonna be a hot coach" Maddie winked, hugging my waist, "and ya know coaching helps you majorly in the dad category"

We both laughed and turned to practice, watching Landyn run around. He was really good for his age. I was amazed actually.

"Daddy! Daddy!" Landyn ran over as it ended, "You're gonna be my coach too!"

"Is that okay with you" I laughed. He nodded with a big smile,

"Come on buddy. We gotta get going so we can go watch the Galaxy play" Maddie grinned after we had our moment.

Maddie climbed into the car and I helped Landyn change shoes and take off his shin guards before he and I got in and I drove to the stadium.

We got in with no problem, taking Landyn to sit with Bennett while Maddie and I went to get us food since we hadn't eaten dinner.

We made it back to the seats and we could hardly keep Landyn in his long enough for him to eat. He was just too excited to be here.

****

Landyn was sound asleep by the time we got home. I helped Maddie give him a bath and get him into his pajamas before we put him to bed. Maddie kissed his head then we walked out of the room and to our own.

Maddie pulled me to the bathroom, turning on the shower before looking at me with the puppy eyes her son has too,

"How could I possibly say no to a shower with you" I smiled and kissed her. We both stripped down and stepped in.

We took turns under the water, but as I went to wash my body off, Maddie stepped forward and wrapped her arms around my torso, and rested her head against my naked chest,

"Thanks for all you do for Landyn. You know you don't have to help coach. He's not your son but I appreciate how you treat him like he is" she mumbled.

I smiled and pressed a kiss to her head,

"Hey, I love him like he's my blood. And someday I hope I can adopt him, make him a Hood like you're gonna be"

She smiled and looked up at me with his chin on my chest,

"I love you"

"I love you too"