thirty-eight

< May >
< Friday >

{ Calum }

"Landyn let's go!" Maddie hollered for the hundredth time. Landyn has a little soccer tournament out of town. He's playing with the six-year-olds for the tournament. Their team didn't have enough because one kid was sick so they asked Landyn to play. Maddie is a nervous wreck, and honestly, I am too. These kids are two years older than. I just don't want him to get picked on or anything because he's younger.

Landyn finally trotted out of the house and over to the car. Maddie helped him in while I locked the house.

Once the house door was locked, I got in the driver's seat. I quickly backed out of the garage, shutting it once we were out, and got on the road to San Diego.

****

It was dark out when we got to the hotel. We had left the house later than planned because both Maddie and I got stuck working.

Landyn was asleep so Maddie walked in to check us in while I stayed in the car. She came out moments later and we drove around to the door that would be closest to our room.

I put on Landyn's soccer bag then picked him up. Maddie grabbed our bag and Landyn's backpack and we headed up to our room.

I laid Landyn in bed as soon as we got in the room. It was 9 pm and we have to be at the soccer fields at 7:30 am. He needs the sleep. Plus his bedtime is 8:00 pm.

Both Maddie and I slipped into the bathroom to get ready for bed,

"How do you think he's going to do?" she asked me as I pulled on a different pair of boxers,

"I think he will do okay" I assured her. She nodded and we finished changing.

We finished up and I went to leave the bathroom, but Maddie grabbed my arm to stop me,

"Do you think they'll pick on him?"

"I hope not but I don't know" I sighed and pulled her into my chest, "He's going to be fine babe"

She nodded and looked up. She pecked my lips then dragged me to bed.

< Saturday >

{ Maddie }

Landyn cried the whole way to the field. I was about to bang my head against the window and Calum looked like he was ready to jump out. Landyn was scared. He doesn't know any of these kids and he's being thrown into the situation. I understand that but he can't just scream and cry.

We got to the field and Calum opened the trunk and had Landyn sit. He got Landyn's shoes, socks, and shin guards on then helped him out. Then he knelt down in front of my son and took his hands,

"Hey, I know this is scary. It's different people that you don't know. But you're going to be fine buddy. I promise. Just be nice and go out there and score some goals"

My heart swelled,

"Got it" Landyn mumbled,

"Alright. Go play super good and run super fast" They fist-bumped and hugged then Landyn was on his way to the field, his soccer bag bouncing on his back as he jogged.

"You're fucking amazing" I gasped as he stood,

"He was just scared" Calum shrugged,