Chapter 4: Thoughts

Korra had her own apartment since Unalaq didn't want people to know she was her niece. See, Unalaq has a somewhat respected company dedicated to MMA promotion and recruiting. He has some fighters that are quite famous but what people don't know is how he recruits. And I'm part of that stupid process. I can't wait to get out of this town. People would think that having your own apartment would be great because it meant freedom and fun but Korra didn't see it like that. Unalaq was paying for the apartment so he thought he could just come to "pay a visit" whenever he wanted. And if Korra wasn't there when he visited she had to endure a punishment.

Desna – Be outside by 6:00pm.

Korra – Got it.

At least Unalaq isn't coming today. That's great news. Having some time until her cousins came for her, Korra decided that eating first would be best. Being alone for 5 years has been a chance for Korra to learn to cook. The sun was setting down as she sat down in the dinner table, alone. It was funny how the sun hitting her back made her feel warm but she felt cold on the inside from the loneliness. She remembered when her parents would be joking around before eating and ask about her day. Naga finished eating and placed her head on Korra's lap knowing what the teenage girl was thinking.

"Thanks, Naga." Korra said petting Naga's head.

She finished quickly and went to get her gym bag set and changed into gym clothes. It was 5:50 when Korra was ready to go. Naga was waiting for her by the door wagging her tail ready to burst out the apartment.

"All least one of us is excited." Korra said laughing as she opened the door.

Outside of the apartment complex was Desna's black BMW X5, his birthday present. Yes, her 16-year-old cousin had a car and he would always have to drive her to the gym. Korra opened the trunk for Naga to get in and then she got in taking a seat behind Eska. Her cousins got used to Korra taking Naga everywhere so they didn't say a thing.

"So, what's planned for today?" Korra asked looking at her phone.

"Nice to see you too." Desna replied driving to their destination.

"Father has the usual planned for you. Your training from Monday to Friday will be vigorous to prepare you for the event on Saturday at 10:00pm. So, don't disappoint. Any questions?" Eska said to Korra with a serious tone.

Korra liked Eska more than Desna because Eska would get to the point and wouldn't be focused on making her life a living hell. Eska only cared about managing her father's business that had nothing to do with Korra.

"All clear. Are you guys going to be there on Saturday?"

"Who do you think is going to be administering father's business ordeals?"

Eska and Desna only knew that their father pushed Korra too much but they don't know what he does when Korra isn't working. Unalaq made Korra promise to never tell them or things would get bad for her and her cousins. From that day, Korra made sure to not get too attached to them and treat them as if they were just another business deal to be made but she did care for them deep down.

After 40 minutes, they arrived at a black warehouse far from the city and any prying eyes. Korra got out quickly to get Naga out from the trunk. The white husky jumped happily and stayed by Korra's side as soon as she knew where they were. Korra didn't bother waiting for Eska and Desna, she had to get to work right away. Korra entered and the loud electronic music blasting from the speakers mixed with the smell of despair welcomed her.

In the middle of the warehouse was the ring that held many memories for Korra, good and bad. To the left was the hallway to the locker rooms for boys and on the right for girls. The equipment spread out on each corner of the room but would be placed in the back for any events.

"Korra!" said a voice from the punching bags. Korra turned and saw her already training so she started walking over to her.

"Kuvira, you started without me?" Korra smiled to her, leaving her gym bag on the floor, Naga lying beside it.

"Had to do something until you arrived. Hey, Naga." Kuvira said kindly while petting Naga.

"What do you have for me today?" Korra started stretching to get ready for whatever was thrown at her.

"Oh, you know. The usual." Kuvira said shrugging and Korra immediately knew she was going to have a tough day.

Korra got to know Kuvira the most when she started to learn how to fight MMA style. Actually, everything she knows she learned from Kuvira who has been her coach from day one. Kuvira was there for Korra in her best and worst moments, a bond was formed, but she knew little about Korra outside of the warehouse. She would always ask but Korra would avoid her questions by changing the topic. They would hang out once a month or so to go clubbing but that was it. The only thing Kuvira knew was that her parents died a while ago.

Kuvira didn't want to push Korra because honestly, she liked having her around.

Training went by as usual, went through a couple of strength and condition drills, some plyometric exercises, working to improve Korra's technique, and boxing. Something weird that happened was that in the middle of her training Unalaq walked in with a group of men watching everybody work out and whispering between them. Unalaq never comes in on Mondays. At one point, they stared at Korra for 30 minutes and not matter how many times it has happened, she felt uncomfortable. Naga kept a close eye on her while training but didn't move from her spot.

When Korra finished her whole body dripped sweat and her muscles ached but she liked the feeling; made her know that she did something useful today and she had something else to focus on. Korra sat on a near bench and began packing everything into her gym bag.

"You did great today. Keep up the work." Kuvira gave Korra a smile as she was approaching her.

"Thanks, are you going to stay here a bit longer?"

"No, a few friends and I are going out. Want to come?"

"Uhum." The sound of someone clearing their throat kept Korra from answering and when she looked up, there was Unalaq beside Kuvira.

"I have some business to talk about with Korra." Unalaq said patronizing. Kuvira looked at Korra.

"Go, I'll be fine." Korra assured her and Kuvira left with a nod.

"We have to talk about the fight." Unalaq said seriously.

...

Korra wasn't surprised from what Unalaq had asked of her, it had become a routine. Still, he wanted to make sure Korra never forgot. The cold water hitting her back managed to relax her tense muscles and wash away all thoughts. They were starting to consume Korra's mind and she just wanted a moment of peace. She wasn't lucky. That night, Korra still tossed and turned the whole night. She tried to wake herself up from the nightmare but she just couldn't, her mind wouldn't let her. Everything she has endure since her parents died came back with full force as if she was reliving all the hurt and pain. Korra woke up sweating and panting when Naga started licking her face and put her body on top of Korra with her head lying on her chest.

"What would I do without you Naga?" Korra said petting her head and ear gently. "Hey, Naga." The white husky perked her ears up. "Do you think Asami and her friends are worth trusting? Should I give them a chance?"

Naga barked and Korra knew what she meant: yes. Korra laid her head back on the pillow thinking about the green-eyed girl and how she felt something funny in her when she looked at her or was even around her. Korra never felt like this before and to tell the truth, it scared her.

"Ahhhhgggg." Korra screamed into her pillow and Naga stared at her to make sure she was okay. "Why won't she leave my mind, Naga?"

Naga kept on staring as if she was telling Korra "I don't know. You figure it out.". Korra put the pillow back on its place and closed her eyes determined to find out why the green eyed girl was making her feel different.