02

Kaya was dragged back to her windowless room, making her want to strangle everyone that had a part in forcing her to leave her peace. She wanted to strangle that girl as much as she wanted to pop that large zit on the side of her forehead. She wanted to hold the knife that would butcher the security guard's burlish hands straight off his wrists. Then he would feel what it was like to be helpless.

The nurse came in with pills again. Kaya kept her mouth shut, refusing to take them. For the first time in a really long time, she felt like herself, and she didn't want to go back into that foggy shell. The nurse tried to pry her mouth open with her hands but Kaya just stared up at her and bit down when she finally got her gloved hands to move Kaya's teeth away from each other.

"Kaya, if you don't open your mouth for me, I will have to give you injections instead." Kaya's teeth ground on each other harder. Let them give her those shots. She would just run away. There was nothing they could do about it. The door was open.

The nurse was new. She forgot to close the door as she left to get another doctor.

Fucking dumbass, Kaya scoffed.

She got up and left. This was a hospital not a prison. It would take a while for anyone to notice her missing—all the doctors were all busy working with people who were actually in need of help and most doctors were off on the weekends.

No one noticed as she strolled out of the hospital lobby in those plain pajamas. She needed a new pair of clothes though. She had no money of her own. Despite this, she was finally free. They wouldn't bother looking for her. She wasn't a threat anyways. She just "needed help." Help that seemed to last for much longer than intended. Originally, her uncle paid for her to be there for three years, but he never visited her in the last two years, and she wasn't patient enough to wait another year before she could be discharged and start her life.

She eventually found a small bar in the middle of the city, it's only occupants: colorless failures taking pleasure in the last drops of happiness they can afford. The only light came through the large windows that looked out to pedestrians that seemed to be magnetically attracted to the farthest side of the street.

This was the perfect place to disappear. Kaya took a seat toward the end of the bar and asked for a brandy.

She sat there observing the bartender pouring the golden liquid out of a fancy bottle, decorated with glass rays that resembled the sun around the label.

Only the smart ones knew she wouldn't be able to afford her drink. Fortunately for her, the bartender was dumb, so she asked for another glass.

Hours later when it was dark out, a man sat on the stool next to her and signaled to the bartender for a drink. Kaya kept her head facing her food, but kept glancing at him every few seconds in fear of who he was. His wavy blonde hair and tan skin reminded her of some actor she couldn't quite name...Matthew something in some sort of rom com she saw with her parents. He wore a fancy suit that looked extremely expensive and there his left hand loosely held a briefcase that was guarded in between his overpriced-looking pants. He was the perfect definition of a spy out of a Hollywood action movie.

When the bartender placed his drink onto the table, he turned to her.

"Given by the way you keep your head down and your eyes keep glancing at everyone here, I'd say you're paranoid of getting caught."

Kaya froze.

"And by the way you're dressed, it seems like you escaped in the middle of the night with nothing on you...And most likely no money."

Her heart beated furiously, aware about how dead she was going to be. This man was going to take her back. He was probably a private investigator that the hospital hired to take her back, claiming that "she was a danger to the world."