15

Xander awoke with the sun high in the bright blue of the sky. Despite the awful hangover infiltrating his mind, "Walking on Sunshine" was playing on the forefront. He imagined that he was in a romcom montage of the protagonist the morning after an amazing date and a goodnight kiss.

As he reminisced about the night before, he realized that he didn't remember a lot. He didn't remember how he got into bed, or how he said goodnight to Kaya, or even how much he drank.

Shit.

That must've been it. He just drank so much he blacked out.

The last thing he remembered was Truth or Dare. After that, it was just a time skip to present day.

As Xander was shamelessly dancing to the song playing on his stereo in just pajama bottoms and a toothbrush as a microphone, he heard the weak knock outside his doors.

He opened the door and the music faded into white noise, along with his smile. Standing in front of him was the most annoying pack elder on his council. Goddess, he hated this guy.

Martin was such a pain in his ass. He was so stubborn and such a hard head who always gave him shit about morals.

Morals. As if he had any.

"I just wanted to walk with you to the meeting." He said judgmentally staring at the toothbrush hanging out of his mouth and the laid back position he was in leaning against the door.

Again. Martin was a pain in the ass.

Why the fuck did he need a babysitter? He was an adult who could look out for himself. He literally burned packs to the ground. It was sad how he couldn't kill him off or something.

Unfortunately, the pack did not tolerate unlawful killing.

How disappointing, Xander frowned.

Xander awkwardly closed the door in Martin's face as he finished brushing his teeth and quickly changed into a white dress shirt and black slacks. He slipped into a pair of loafers before opening the door and leaving waiting for Martin to trail behind him.

The walk to the meeting room was extremely awkward. Martin kept up Xander's pace a breath behind him, but still too close for comfort. The pounding headache throbbing in the front of his mind was not helping either.

As Alpha, he was supposed to show the elders respect, which he did, but it was hard. How could he respect people who didn't respect him? However, he knew that if he didn't respect the elders, he would end up a rogue again.

Elders had the ability to nominate another into the position of alpha (which he suspected Martin was trying to do) and were able to completely challenge his every word. Elders were the only thing that kept his power in check, which was not good for him.

"How has your soulmate been adjusting back to pac life. Since she's human, obviously, it must've been hard. Especially since that kidnapping. It was a relief she was rescued!" Of course. Martin just had to bring up what happened to her. And on top of that talk about something that he hadn't even gotten a chance to talk with Kaya about.

What a fucking breech of privacy.

"She's been fine." He said through gritted teeth.

After that, the only thing they heard was the low humming of vents between the walls.

Xander was too preoccupied on trying to tame the harsh headache before he flipped. He wished his werewolf metabolism helped with this, but this was his fault. He should not have taken so much vodka. How many shots did he have? 100?