Chapter 4 : Farewell

And there stood among the slain Meriadoc the hobbit, blinking like an owl in the daylight, for tears blinded him, and in a cloud he looked upon the fair head of Eowyn, lying motionless, and he gazed upon the face of the king, fallen in the midst of his glory.

For Nivacrin, in his agony, had rolled over him, becoming his master's destroyer.

Then Merry bent down and lifted the king's hand, and behold, Theoden's eyes opened! They were clear, and he spoke in a calm, if difficult voice.

-Farewell, Master Hobbit! My body is broken. I join my ancestors. And even in their great company I shall not be ashamed now. I have slain the black serpent. An ominous morning, a happy day and a golden sunset!

Merry could not find the words and could not swallow the tears that flowed freely down her cheeks.

Elenwë, who was finally able to stand up, walked towards the king and the latter shook her hand.

-Lady Elenwë. Great Lady among the elves. What a joy to have been able to ride and fight at your side. I am filled with admiration for you. You are strong. Thank you for enlightening me. Where is Éomer?

All around them the horns sounded loudly. A new assault came from the vanguard of Osgiliath.

Thereupon, several riders arrived, and among them, Eomer.

The latter jumped down from his horse and rushed to his king's side.

-Eomer..." whispered the king.

Then one of the knights took the king's banner from the hand of Guthlaf, the banner bearer who lay dead, and raised it.

Theoden slowly opened his eyes. Seeing the banner, he motioned for it to be handed over to Éomer.

-Hail, King of the March!" he said with his last strength. Go now to victory! Bid farewell to Eowyn!

And he died, not knowing that Eowyn lay beside him.

And those who stood by cried out:

-Théoden King! Theoden King!

This cry echoed across the plain, the wail rose to the wall of the white, partly ruined city.

-Do not weep too much! Mighty was he who fell, worthy was his end. When his mound is raised, we shall mourn him. The war calls us now. Éomer said this to encourage them, but he himself wept as he spoke.

-Let his knights remain here, he said, and carry his body with honour from the battlefield, lest the troops trample it underfoot! Yea, him and all these other king's men that lie here.

And he looked at the slain, remembering their names.

Then suddenly he saw his sister Eowyn lying there, and he recognised her. For a moment he stood like a man with an arrow through his heart in the midst of a cry, and his face grew deathly pale, and a cold fury overcame him, so that all speech failed him for a time.

-Eowyn, Eowyn!" he cried at last. How do you find yourself here? Eowyn? What madness or sorcery is this? Death, death, death! Death takes us all.

Elenwë came and laid her hand on the shoulder of the new King of the March.

-Fear not, Eomer, Lord of the Rohirrims. She lives and her courage has overcome the Witch-King of Angmar. Great is her strength.

Eomer looked calmer, but still angry.

Then, without receiving any advice and without waiting for the approach of the men of the City, he spurred and threw himself headlong towards the front of the great army, sounded his horn and called loudly for the assault.

On the battlefield his clear voice rang out, shouting:

-Death! Run, run to ruin and to the end of the world!

Elenwë bent over Eowyn and although she was already exhausted, she used her power to give her first aid.

Merry looked at Elenwë with concern.

-Elenwë. They need you. Go ahead. I watch over her. She has never stopped protecting me. It is up to me to do the same.

Elenwë looked intently at the young courageous man.

-You are brave, Master Meriadoc. So be it. I will.

Elenwë went towards Osgiliath, calling Ebene. The she-wolf arrived, her beautiful white fur filled with blood.

"Are you hurt?"

"No.. But the orcs... yes."

Elenwë could not hold back a brief burst of inner laughter.

"Let's go to Osgiliath. I have an idea."

"At your service!"

Within seconds, Elenwë and Ébène were in the middle of the ruins of Osgiliath.

Elenwë headed towards the waves of the Anduin.

Suddenly, two figures stood before her. The two other Nazghûls.

She closed her eyes for a moment, concentrating. The light around her intensified and Elenwë felt all her anger return.

She lunged at them and fought with both of them at once. Ant Estel's blade glowed brightly and clashed with the two dark blades. After a long, hard fight, she won and looked down at the now empty clothes on the ground.

She knelt down, resting her clasped hands on the hilt of her sword which was resting on the ground.

"I feel so tired, Ebony..."

"You have rid Arda of two more Nazghûls... It's obvious you're tired.."

Ebony moved closer to the elleth and bent down.

"I will accompany you to the Anduin. climb up!"

Elenwë thanked her she-wolf and grabbed her fur with her hands to pull herself up onto her back.

The elleth slid into the water of the great river.

"What are you going to do?" The she-wolf asked.

"Use the power of the water."

Elenwë closed her eyes, focusing on the water reaching her knees.

With a titanic effort, she lifted several tons of water that fell on the rest of the orc army. They were swept away, blown away by the wave.

"And there it is. Half of them gone..."

"Mmmhh..I'd say more like two thirds.. That was incredible, congratulations."

Elenwë did not answer. Exhausted, she fell into the water. She was sinking into unconsciousness. Ébène pulled Elenwë to the shore and screamed to death when she did not open her eyes despite his frequent strokes of his muzzle on her face.

In the distance, Elladan heard the she-wolf's howl.

-Elenwë! he shouted.

Elrohir had heard it too and had turned pale. He grabbed his twin brother's hand and climbed behind him on his horse. Elrohir had lost his mount indeed. They rode towards the howl, their hearts pounding and their throats closing.

Unfortunately for the men, who were gathering courage, another horn sounded. Men from the south, on huge creatures, the Oliphants.

Despair gripped them again.