Chapter 10 : Homecoming

Elenwë blinked. The Dunedain was the first to react. With a confident step, he rushed towards her and suddenly took her in his arms. Elenwë was surprised, but finally smiled as she felt Aragorn move in this way.

He looked at her silently for a moment and said:

-We were so afraid for you.

Elenwë smiled at him and suddenly felt herself being pulled backwards.

Clutching her arms almost to the point of suffocation, with tears in her eyes, she gave a few light blows on her brothers' arms. They let go of her and she could see that their eyes were shining.

-Elenwë... do not frighten us any longer. Elrohir whispered.

-We thought we had lost you. We were all so sad. Elladan added.

Elenwë felt her eyes sting as the hobbits jumped on her neck.

She smiled so brightly that her cheeks ached and saw that Mithrandir and Gimli were looking at her with happy smiles on their faces.

-How do you feel? Gimli asked.

Elenwë suddenly remembered that she could not speak. She put her hand to her throat and shook her head from side to side.

-Your voice..." whispered Pippin. His eyes were misty. He loved Elenwë's beautiful voice and thought to himself that he wanted nothing more than to hear the sound of her singing.

-Oh no! Merry exclaimed. You can't speak anymore! He looked distraught.

Aragorn frowned and Elladan and Elrohir looked sad.

They moved closer to her and seeing that they were all in turmoil, she stepped aside and rushed to the table, grabbing a scroll at random from the pile.

Elenwë grabbed the quill and explained to them in writing that it was nothing and that her voice would return.

They seemed only half relieved.

Merry cocked her head to one side and asked:

-Where is Lord Legolas?

Elenwë smiled as she told them that he had fallen asleep while watching over her.

They sighed with relief, especially Elladan and Elrohir, who had seen the Woodland Prince almost die of starvation and exhaustion, so worried was he about his betrothed.

Elenwë suddenly remembered Eowyn. Eowyn... who, during the battle, had killed the former sorcerer lord of Angmar. The image of the warrior, her blonde hair flowing in the wind reminded her that she had been wounded.

"Where is Eowyn?" She wrote. "The last time I saw her, she was in bad shape."

A flicker of concern passed over her face and she added:

"Reassure me... she is not dead?"

Merry moved closer to Elenwë and smiled at her.

-No... not at all! She is injured and still recovering, but she has a very caring sick guard!

Elenwë frowned, not understanding.

-Mithrandir murmured. The ravages of love on the 'young'.

Aragorn smiled thinly and added:

-It would seem that Faramir, youngest son of Denethor, has taken a fancy to our lady of Rohan. This is a good thing in itself... she is the heir of King Theoden and Lord Faramir is of high lineage. And then... it shows us that there is not only evil in these dark times.

He turned away from the conversation as the hobbits chatted happily and stood by the window.

The sun shone on his face, giving it a majesty that Elenwë had only just begun to notice.

Everyone was deep in discussion, but Elenwë looked at the sad, memory-ridden eyes of the former Ranger.

She approached him and took his hand.

He looked at her and a glint of sadness passed through his clear eyes.

-I miss her. Elenwë. I have come a long way... and while I have finally found my rightful place... my heart has never suffered so much. I love her, and to know that she is so ill costs me... Ah... how I wish she did not love me and that I had never laid eyes on her... she would still be immortal and could live on without having to worry about the miserable life of a once throne-less king.

Elenwë took both of his hands and looked at him, making her answer clear through her eyes.

She touched with her fingertips the jewel that Arwen had given to Aragorn.

"Do not say that... she loves you so much and without you... she would be miserable. Besides... I am proud to have you as my brother."

This is what she would have said to him if she could, but she merely hugged him to comfort him.

Aragorn returned her embrace and shamefully hid the few tears that flowed from his eyes.

-I'm so afraid I'm not up to it. he murmured.

Elenwë smiled at him. Him... not up to the task? He would be the best husband, the best father, the best ruler. He was already such an extraordinary man.

-What do you mean I can't hold my liquor? Gimli's voice suddenly rang out.

-Calm down, Master Dwarf! Elrohir replied with a laugh.

Aragorn and Elenwë had come closer to see what they were talking about.

-Let us just say..." Elladan continued, "that... well... we heard that Lord Legolas had beaten you.

-Which leads us to believe that dwarves don't hold their liquor as well as elves... Elrohir finished.

Gimli looked utterly dismayed and, as he had risen from his chair to protest, he sat back down and let himself fall back on the backrest.

-By Durin. Sweet ancestors. What have I done to deserve this?

Merry and Pippin burst out laughing, so unusual was it to see the dwarf disappointed.

-And then... all the same..." the dwarf continued with a sulky pout, "I beat Elenwë.

"WHAT?! she choked inwardly. But..."

-That doesn't count, she's a lady! Pippin replied with a wink to Elenwë who was silently ranting.

-Why are you bothering my fiancée like this? said a husky voice.

They all turned and saw Legolas coming closer to Elenwë and taking her hand. He had just woken up and heard the beginning of the conversation from the door.

-Is it true that you beat Gimli in the drinking contest? asked Elladan.

-That's right," laughed Legolas, "but I don't deserve any credit. he admitted honestly. My father's wine is terribly stronger than any other alcohol. So... we woodland elves can drink much more without suffering the consequences.

Elrohir smiled.

-Dear Thranduil and his wine... I remember.

Gimli muttered something in his beard that sounded like:

"So that was cheating..."

Legolas laughed clearly at this and said:

-You'll just have to try with Elladan and Elrohir!

Gimli smiled at his friend and moved closer before shaking his hand.

-It's a deal!

-And... Uh... we don't have an opinion to give? asked Elrohir.

-No!" said Legolas, Gimli, Gandalf, Merry and Pippin at the same time.

They looked at each other and their laughter echoed around the room for a few minutes.