Chapter 23 : The king of Minas Tirith

A few days had passed. Men, Elves and a few Dwarf dignitaries had arrived in the white city.

At the top of Minas Tirith, above the citadel, the wide promontory of bright grey-white rocks towered over the city.

The timid rays of the sun barely warmed enough to make the drops of morning dew glisten. Already, in the streets, an unusual effervescence reigned. Yet. The city, inhabited, was usually alive, but that morning. The agitation was at its peak. Not an anxious agitation, synonymous with any danger, but an intense joy that spread along the streets.

The day had arrived which symbolised the beginning of new times. The white tree of the city had been showing pale flower buds for some hours.

The morning progressed, occupied with the final preparations for the coronation of the king. Elenwë and her brothers moved from place to place, carrying decorations, tables and chairs. The hobbits spent their morning with Frodo, who had woken up a few days earlier. Gandalf was working on the fresco in the throne room and Gimli and Legolas were helping him, laughing to see the wise wizard with the patched apron around his waist, brushes in hand, trying not to overstep.

- Mithrandir! Look out! Legolas suddenly shouted.

From Gandalf's palette, a trickle of blue paint dripped and landed on the old man's sandal.

- Damn it! he grumbled.

Gimli laughed loudly and Legolas looked at him, making big eyes. The wizard sighed as he tried in vain to remove the stain.

- Well," he sighed, "let's hope it doesn't show too much.

The doors of the hall suddenly opened on Aragorn, dressed in sumptuous clothes. He closed it behind him and looked at his friends with an indecisive expression.

- I look like a lazy lord in this," he admitted in disappointment.

- But no, Mellon, no! replied Legolas. You are majestic.

- It suits you better than the clothes you wore until now," continued Gimli.

- Does it? murmured Aragorn. Only I was not used to such luxury!

The door opened again and this time Elenwë entered, followed by her two brothers.

- Aragorn! How chic! exclaimed Elladan.

- I will even say better! What a presence! Elrohir added.

They looked at each other, smiling, and Elenwë stepped forward saying:

- Everything is ready.

The future crowned one looked at the sundial on the wall of the hall, cleverly lit by a skylight in the opposite wall.

- My friends, all you have to do is go and get ready.

Everyone retired to their flats, dressed in the finery that the dressmakers of Minas Tirith had prepared for the occasion.

Elenwë patiently braided her hair into a sophisticated style, her long locks resting on her shoulders.

She put on her dress, grey, with a slit in the front and a red silk lining. The sleeves, slightly puffed, were tightened above the elbows by two red silk bands, and white laces covered her bust dressed in scarlet silk.

Finally, she tightened a silver belt around her waist and placed her tiara on her head.

The elleth approached the mirror, and the reflection seemed to her less worse than she had imagined. Before leaving the room, she slipped her two elven daggers into their sheaths on her thigh. She felt terribly helpless without weapons.

Soon they all reached the main square of the promontory. A huge crowd stood there. Great, small, rich lords, craftsmen and peasants, all wanted to see their king crowned.

Isildur's descendant stood upright on the steps leading to the palace entrance. A huge, sumptuous carpet had been rolled out to the tree of kings. Gandalf stepped forward, followed by Gimli who carried the cushion on which the crown rested. The wizard climbed the steps and solemnly carried the crown over Aragorn.

Placing the crown on his head, he said in a loud voice:

- And these are the days of the King.

Mithrandir stepped back slightly and added softly:

- May they be happy.

A sincere smile passed over his face and the wizard stepped back again.

The newly crowned king rose to his full height. His majesty was clear for all to see. Inwardly, Elenwë suddenly thought of the premonition she had had as they sailed the Anduin ages ago. She remembered Boromir's words that Elessar would become the king that Gondor needed so badly.

For the moment, a light breeze passed through the crowd and gently stirred the branches of the white tree. Its flowers, now blooming, shed some of their petals and flew up to caress the face of the ruler. The crowd present cheered their leader with loud applause and acclamations. Shouts and exclamations of joy came from all sides. Then he breathed in and spoke:

- This day belongs not to one man but to all. Let us rebuild this world together, that we may share times of peace.

After these words, his features took on a sad and serious expression. He opened his lips and intoned:

Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien.
From the Great Ocean to the Middle Lands, I have come.
Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn'
To these places I will remain faithful, and so will my heirs,
Ambar-metta!
Until the end of time

Then he descended the steps and walked along the alley formed by the guards of the citadel. When he reached the level of the group of elves, he stopped in front of Legolas and Elenwë. They were smiling, close to each other, almost matching in their silver and grey garb. He laid a hand on the shoulder of each of them. Then he said:

- Hannon le..

Legolas grinned and turned his eyes to Lord Elrond who was smiling slightly. Behind the Elven banner suddenly appeared Arwen. Resplendent, wearing a water-green gown and an elaborate tiara, she was pale but looked up at Aragorn, giving him her best smile.

Elenwë, surprised, grabbed Legolas' arm and looked at her two brothers with fury. How could they dare to hide from her that her sister remained in Arda? That she was there?

She wanted to join her, but Legolas held her back as Arwen walked towards the King of Gondor. A moment passed and the elf dared not look into the eyes of her beloved. Aragorn lifted his fiancée's chin, seeking to meet her gaze. Then he melted on her lips, passing his hand behind her neck to give her a fiery kiss.

Behind the lovers, Elrond seemed half fig, half grape, torn between laughter and tears.

Elenwë glanced at him and went to greet her father who was standing not far from Haldir.

- All is well. she murmured as the couple walked up the crowd until they passed the hobbits.

Aragorn greeted them, thanked them, and showed his unbounded gratitude before bowing to them, quickly followed by all.

Elenwë smiled at her father, her brothers, her fiancé, her sister and her friends. Yes, she had everything to be happy.