Chapter 9 : Awake

When Elenwë awoke again, Legolas was fast asleep in the chair. So when she managed to get up and grab his hand, he did not react.

She sighed inwardly and tried once again to speak. Nothing to do. Her voice was gone.

She brought her hand to her throat, gently massaging the base of her neck. She was still in pain. She shuddered as she remembered that she was the one who had screamed until her voice was gone.

Blowing out her nose, she decided to go wash up.

She headed for the cord, attached to the wall and connected to a bell that would call someone.

A few moments later, there was a knock at the door. A maid entered and said:

-My Lady...I am well pleased to see that you are up! How do you feel?

Elenwë looked at her and thought that not having a voice was a handicap.

She grabbed a sheet of paper from the desk and dipped the quill into the inkwell.

I feel fine," she wrote. Only... I can't talk yet, but my voice will come back in a few days. Would it be possible to take a bath?"

The maid smiled and answered:

-I will tell the group. The bath will be ready in ten minutes.

Elenwë thanked her with a nod and sat down on a chair opposite Legolas'.

She smiled as she looked at him in his sleep. She was deeply happy to be back and to know that he cared for her so much.

About ten minutes later, when the maid told her that everything was ready, Elenwë went to the bathroom next to the bedroom.

She quickly took off her clothes and unceremoniously entered the hot water.

She spent a long time washing her body and hair, gradually turning them into a brilliant color.

She finally felt clean and was no longer bothered by her body odor.

When she got out of the water, she noticed the slightly dark color of the water.

She winced as she passed by that she must be pretty dirty and smiled as she told herself that the bath had been really necessary.

She dried her hair and tied it into a tight braid that she let rest between her shoulder blades.

She put on a red dress that was lying there, laid out for her.

She smiled as she put the outfit on. Elenwë finally felt properly dressed although she would prefer to have her usual outfit.

Legolas was still asleep too, so she ventured out into the hallway.

The sun shone on the portraits hanging on the walls. Elenwë took a long breath as she walked on the thick embroidered carpet.

She wandered along the corridors, gradually losing herself in this labyrinth of endless rooms.

Without wanting it, she suddenly fell, at the bend of a corridor, on a brown man. Surprised, she wavered and he held her, catching her.

She raised her eyes towards him and remained mute for two seconds.

He had a haughty bearing, frank brown eyes and a noble look.

Elenwë looked for a moment at the slightly wavy hair that fell over the man's shoulders. On his chest, the white tree of Gondor was embroidered.

She smiled awkwardly. How much he looked like Boromir!

She thanked him with a nod and moved away from him.

He recognized the elf who accompanied Lord Aragorn, the fiancée of Prince Legolas Thranduilion if the rumors were true.

He bowed and introduced himself to this elf who was looking at him with an air of doubt in her eyes.

-Lady Elenwë I suppose. My name is Faramir. Son of Denethor, last steward of Gondor and younger brother of the one you should know quite well, my brother Boromir.

A look of sadness passed through Elenwë's eyes as she nodded.

She nodded that she could not speak and Faramir understood.

-No doubt you want to join your companions?

Elenwë nodded actively and Faramir smiled.

He asked her to follow him and he led me to a huge and sumptuous room... surely the throne room.

He left her at the door and walked away after greeting her.

Elenwë took a deep breath and pushed the door open.

The twins turned around, looking surprised. Aragorn's face lit up and Gimli smiled broadly. The hobbits straightened up and Gandalf smiled.

She waited apprehensively for the explosion of emotions.