Chapter 25 : Eryn Lasgalen, enchanted forest

The three friends moved slowly across the plain. The sun, in the west, was gradually going down, getting closer to the horizon. Its last rays illuminated the sparse vegetation of the deserted expanse. The few trees present were ready to welcome the birds of the sky for the night. The chirps that were fading went up towards the sky vault while in the east, the beloved star of the elves, Eärendil, appeared in the inky blue that tinted little by little the night dome.

- We will arrive in the depths of the night. Legolas whispered, as if he wanted to respect the sleep of nature.

Gimli, riding behind the Woodland Prince, smiled.

- So we might find your people asleep?

The son of Thranduil laughed softly and his laughter seemed to reach for the stars.

- Not so. The elves of my kingdom sleep little, and their hearts are in celebration, I feel it in the trees.

- In the trees? Elenwë asked.

Legolas looked at her gently and answered:

- Those whose silhouettes can be seen a few feet away. The forest is pure, joyful and alive. By what miracle did my father manage to purge it of its poison?

Elenwë smiled discreetly. She remembered perfectly how she had helped Thranduil and Celeborn during the battle of Dol Guldur. She felt so happy to see the beneficial effect of that victory. The elf thought that she had never told her comrades about that night. Legolas was not aware that she had ever met her father.

- Nature has taken over. How light the air is! I feel so happy! Don't you feel it? Do you not hear their call?

Gimli and Elenwë exchanged a look before listening. If at first they heard nothing, soon a slight breeze seemed to blow through their minds. A breath of serenity. The elleth felt his heart attuned to the trees as the rivers and springs of the green forest softly whispered enchanting words to him. The dwarf felt drawn to this expanse of nature, so pure that it shone brighter than the clearest crystal.

- My friends! Legolas said with a smile. Come! It is calling us!

The horses galloped off, answering Nature's irresistible call.

When they were under the cover of the trees, the stars never seemed so clear and bright.

- Legolas, my friend, never before have I felt such peace. Your kingdom is enchanting. I almost feel like I'm in Lorién, under the shadow of the mellyrn, in the heart of the elven world, in Cerin Amroth.

The blond elf turned his gaze to the sky.

- Friend. Never then have your words touched me so much. I thank you for telling me how you feel. You are in the forest as it would have remained if the evil had not insinuated itself between its trunks. I tremble with joy to find it back to its original state.

Elenwë, moved, felt her mare quicken her pace.

- We will arrive soon, the prince of this kingdom assured.

They arrived at a guard post and were stopped.

- Who shows up this late at night? asked a husky voice.

- Ciradyl? Is that you? Legolas asked.

- By what augury is this possible? the guard asked. Are my ears playing tricks on me? No! No, Legolas, my lord, my friend! Oh blessed day of the Valar! Is that you?

The guard, a tall elf with horses of fire and eyes as blue as the ocean, walked towards Legolas who had landed.

- Ciradyl.

The red-haired elf rushed into the open arms of the woodland prince.

- Oh. Every day we prayed for your return. We all feared that you would not return. Who are your companions? Ciradyl asked as he stepped back.

- Ciradyl," began Legolas with a smile, "this is Gimli, son of Gloin, a friend who is precious to me. And I present you Elenwë Elrondiel, my fiancée.

The elf hesitated for a moment, then smiled and said:

- I knew you would not come back alone!

The blond elf turned to his friends and introduced them:

- My friends, this is Ciradyl, childhood friend and brother of the heart. I shared everything with him until I left, a little over eighty years ago.

The elf of the guard turned to the elf in the shadows.

- Ayda. Could you stay here, I'll go with them to the caves.

The long black-haired elleth nodded before disappearing into the shadows.

- This elleth is the most efficient one I know. She did great things during the attack on Dol Guldur. Come on, let's get in the saddle. Follow me.

The three friends looked at each other and Legolas moved closer to his fiancée, shaking her hand. She was a little nervous, he could tell. He stroked her fingers with his thumb.

- Everything will be all right. Meleth. he whispered in her ear.

She blushed slightly as she briefly squeezed her fiancé's hand.

They rode for a while longer before they reached the cave doors. The gates opened immediately and they walked along the winding path, while joyful murmurs were heard as they passed.

Ciradyl left them in front of the throne room and Legolas pushed open the door.

At the back of the room, on his elaborate wooden throne, a splendid crown on his head, an elf with silver-blond hair was reading a document. His legs were elegantly crossed and Elenwë immediately recognized him as Legolas' father. They looked very much alike indeed.

- Ada? the son whispered softly.

Thranduil looked up in amazement. A fleeting look of surprise passed through his blue eyes.

- Ion nin..? Is that even possible?

Legolas strode toward his father as the ruler of Eryn Lasgalen descended from his promontory.

- Legolas... Legolas.

Then, and this surprised Legolas, Thranduil embraced him.

- Ion nin.. At last I find you.

The two very similar hairs mingled as father and son embraced affectionately.

- I've missed you so much. Thranduil whispered.

- I missed you too, Ada.

After a few embraces, the ruler of the sylvan kingdom asked Legolas who was with him.

- This is Gimli, my dearest friend, and Elenwë, my betrothed.