Chapter 20 : Back to Minas Tirith

The army was moving fast, despite the few wounded. Finally, the next day, they arrived in sight of the White City.

- We will be there in two hours! Elrohir said, his heart in celebration.

Elenwë smiled at her brother, saying:

- I will give myself a whole day of sleep!

- You will never manage to sleep that much, despite your ability to play the marmot! replied Elladan maliciously.

- The groundhog?! she exclaimed.

She made a disdainful pout, pretending to be offended.

- If that's the way it is, I'm off to see Aragorn.

Perched on Ebony, she walked away, leaving her brothers, against whom she was not really angry.

She moved closer to the head of the line, joining Aragorn who was moving a little ahead of the army.

- Aragorn? she called.

He turned around with a sad look in his eyes. He smiled at the half elf and she slid down to the same level as the man.

- You look very dark. Tilion's daughter whispered. Are you worried about Arwen? she asked.

The expression of Isildur's descendant confirmed her assumption.

- Mellon nin.. she said, taking his hand. I am her sister and as such I have some sort of connection to her. If she had died, I would have known. She did not, Aragorn. Knowing her, Ada would have insisted that she leave, but she would have refused. She is probably only waiting for one thing, to find you. I am sure she will come to Minas Tirith when the good news reaches her. Trust her, you know how much she loves you.

The man fixed his blue eyes on the face of the elleth. He gave Elenwë a frank smile, and she sensed that he had regained his courage. Aragorn was a virtuous and courageous man, but he often lacked confidence, especially in his feelings.

- By the way," she continued, "I heard the men singing a poem about the White City at the vigil last night. Do you know what I mean?

- I think so.

- I would love to learn it. Couldn't you sing it?

- Yes, of course. he replied.

Then the heir to the throne of Gondor took a breath and intoned:

On the steep slopes of Mount Mindolluin,
It clings like a lilting crystal.
Tickled by the waves of the Anduin,
It is enthroned in its masterly whiteness.
This white corolla offers itself to the skies
Opening like a heptagynous flower
By seven walls and in its middle,
The citadel with divine allure.
At the seventh and last of its levels,
The Tower of Ecthelion completes the building
Housing the stewards from father to son.
The white tree of Gondor at its side
Loses none of its magnificence
Whose beauty is the quintessence of it.

When Aragorn's deep and beautiful voice faded, Elenwë smiled warmly, thanking him.

- It is very beautiful.

- Yes, it is very old, men have forgotten its origin.

- Perhaps my father knows its creators.

- It is more than likely if this song is less than six millennia old.

The two friends looked at each other and burst out laughing.

- Six thousand years. What a long life," murmured Aragorn, with tears in his eyes.

Just then, Legolas and Gimli joined them, perched on Hasufel.

- What are you laughing at without us? Gimli asked with a smile.

- At my father's age," replied Elenwë.

Legolas smiled and looked ahead to the city.

- Do you want to know what my eyes see? asked the wood elf.

- Tell us," replied the dwarf.

- I see..." began Legolas, "Faramir and Eowyn watching for our arrival.

- And I think the people of the city are getting ready to receive us," said Aragorn gently. The days ahead will be days of peace and celebration. Will you stay in the White City for a while at least?

- What a question!" said Gimli. Of course we will! Elenwë has a revenge to take for the drinking contest. 

- Ah... I'm sure the other one will win again! She laughed softly and glanced at Legolas.

He smiled and said:

- When we leave, you must come with me to my forest, Gimli and Elenwë. You can taste the best wine ever made. And then... I must present my bride to my father.

Elenwë blushed suddenly and whispered:

- Strangely. I'm not extremely anxious to meet him.

- My father has a bad reputation, I understand, but he is a good father and I am sure he will appreciate you.

- I hope so.

Legolas took Elenwë's hand affectionately and kissed her cheek, making her blush even more.

- That is enough! This is not the time! she said, stepping aside in embarrassment.

Aragorn and Gimli choked with laughter at the reaction of the sheth and Legolas laughed softly.

- That's what you get for paying my head as well!

- Elenwë. Legolas whispered, "We are teasing you. Nothing more.

She sighed and said:

- I never said I liked it.

Legolas restrained himself from saying that he was just teasing her to see her blush and wisely decided to change the subject of conversation.

The hobbits joined them and were talking happily when Elenwë called out:

- Look!

They all looked up and saw the eagles approaching the city, two people in their talons.

- It is Sam and Frodo! Merry shouted.

- I hope they're still alive," whispered Pippin.

The group watched as the huge birds landed on the city's promontory, and Legolas and Elenwë reassured the hobbits that their friends looked as if they had been taken care of by healers.

Finally, in the late afternoon, the army arrived at the gates of Minas Tirith.

The people of the city greeted them with joy and shouts of jubilation echoed through the streets.

The army marched up the Serpentine and the men stopped when they reached their homes. Only a few unfortunate families had to mourn the loss of one of their own.

When the group of two hobbits, four elves, the dwarf and two men (Eomer and Aragorn) arrived at the Citadel, they dismounted and retired to their respective flats to rest.