Chapter 12 : Voice

At the end of the day, which was rather calm, Elenwë felt a great weariness coming over her. She did not wish to worry her fiancé and her brothers, so she withdrew, enjoying the silence of the night.

She walked quietly along one of the white city's byways. Above her, the inky firmament sublimated the soft light of Telperion's last flower.

Taking a deep breath, Elenwë watched the stars.

-They are so beautiful tonight

Elenwë turned abruptly, surprised by the voice.

She recognised Aragorn.

"Yes." She wanted to answer but merely nodded and smiled at her friend.

Aragorn leaned against the edge and looked down at the expanse at their feet.

-I didn't really thank you for the other day. he began.

Elenwë put her hand on Aragorn's arm and smiled again.

To her surprise, she felt a soft light surround her and she felt warmed from within.

It was as if something was suddenly returned to her. She opened her lips and heard her own voice.

Ai! laurie de Lassi súrinen
inyalemīne Ramar aldaron
inyali ettulielle Turme Marien
anduniesse le mīruvōrion
Varda de Falmar kīrien
laurealassion Omar mailinon.

Stunned and surprised more than usual, Aragorn listened, frozen, as the half elf's sweet voice rose into the moonlit sky.

Elenwë was no longer aware of her friend's presence and continued her singing. Her voice swelled and made the soft celestial lights sparkle, echoing against the white walls of the city and touching the hearts of all who heard her.

Elentári Vardan Oiolossëan
Tintallen Mali ortelūmenen
arkandavā-le qantamalle tulier
and falmalillon Morne sindanórië
not mīrinoite kallasilya Valimar.

When she fell silent, the silence suddenly seemed oppressive and Aragorn turned to his friend.

-Your voice. Elenwë.

The elf put her hand to her neck and whispered:

-She has returned.

She turned to the sky and said:

-Hannon the, Adar.

Aragorn smiled at her and whispered with an amused look:

-Perhaps your fiancé would like to know.

She pouted and nudged Aragorn, who tripped her before catching her.

She stuck her tongue out at him and slipped away.

-I will take my revenge on Aragorn! she said, laughing, as she disappeared into the nearest corridor.

Isildur's heir let a discreet laugh escape from his lips. Elenwë was like his sister, he feared nothing from her.

Elenwë walked quickly up to the palace and when she reached the front of the palace, she entered the hall. This great room was deserted and seemed empty. The silver rays of the moon lit up the hangings on the walls, making the white marble columns glitter.

She decided to go to the "rest" room, hoping to find Legolas there.

As she walked rather hastily, she suddenly bumped into someone.

"Again?" she thought as she lost her balance.

A strong arm caught her by the waist. She found herself against a torso clad in fine silk of excellent quality. She recognized the scent and relaxed suddenly, closing her eyes and resting her head on the base of her fiancé's neck.

-Elenwë..." he whispered.

-Legolas," she began softly.

The woodland elf grabbed her shoulders, staring into her eyes.

-Your voice.

Elenwë murmured, her eyes shining:

-Yes...

Then, impulsively, Legolas leaned over and kissed Elenwë passionately.

He held her tightly to him, wrapping his arms around her waist. Elenwë remained with her hands on Legolas' chest. The moon shone down on the couple, giving them an ethereal, legendary, fairy-like quality.

He deepened their kiss, slipping one of his hands into his bride's neck.

She shuddered and smiled stealthily against his lips.

When Legolas reluctantly pulled away, both cheeks and ears were red, and Elenwë blushed even more as she caught Legolas' gaze.

-Amin mela le.. Melleth nin. she whispered.

Legolas smiled at Elenwë, pleased to hear her say these words.

-You should get some rest. he replied gently.

She nodded and started to walk away. Legolas caught up with her quickly and slipped his hand into hers.

Smiling, he led her to the door of the sheth's chambers.

-What a resta. he said, bringing Elenwë's hand to his lips.

She smiled at him, kissed him on the cheek and entered her flats.

A few moments later, lying in bed, she blushed as she thought of their kiss. Forcing herself to ignore it, she turned on her side, wondering curiously how Thranduil would take their engagement.

Eventually she fell asleep, overcome by fatigue.