Chapter 8 : Is it a dream?

She had a dream. A pleasant dream. She had found her companions, her brothers, and especially Legolas.

The sun, the last fruit of the Laurelin tree, had just risen. Its warm rays lit up the white walls of the city under reconstruction. Illuminating the plain with a soft golden light, they made the dewdrops on the grass sparkle. In the nearby woods, the animals were waking up and the birds were already singing. The owl gave its last hoot and went to the shelter for a restful sleep. The sun was slowly awakening nature.

In the city, the inhabitants were getting up, starting their daily tasks, mostly clearing the rubble.

Higher up, in the citadel, the companions were still sleeping for the most part.

Only Aragorn had been up since dawn to attend a meeting with Faramir, son of Denethorn the steward who willingly lost his life during the battle.

Elenwë was in a very pleasant cocoon of warmth. She did not want to open her eyes and realize that all these delicious sensations of security and comfort existed only in her dream.

But finally, the sun, not satisfied with waking up the city, shone through the wide French window that led to the balcony of the room.

The sunlight tickled Elenwë's sleeping face and she finally blinked out of her unconsciousness.

Her throat still hurt terribly.

With difficulty, she looked around. She was in a large, well-furnished room. The sunlight was already strong for early morning.

Then she saw the sleeping figure of Legolas in the armchair beside the bed.

She opened her lips to call for him, but no sound came out. Her voice was gone.

She reached out for him, but she was too far from the chair and didn't have the strength to get up.

She thought it was silly that she couldn't even tell her fiancé that she was awake when, precisely, Legolas woke up.

Without really believing it, he turned his head towards Elenwë, not expecting to find her awake.

The sheth saw sincere astonishment pass over the face of the Woodland Prince, and then immediately, a glow of intense joy.

He got up and walked towards her. He sat down next to her on the bed and hugged her.

Elenwë was suddenly happy to feel Legolas' arms around her. She smiled and hugged Legolas back, closing her eyes and inhaling the comforting smell of the elf. They held each other for a long time, just long enough for their worries to subside.

When he loosened his embrace, he took her shoulders and gazed at her with tenderness.

-Suilad... melleth nin... Legolas whispered. Pan mae? (Hello... my love... how are you?)

Elenwë looked at him and then signaled with her hand that she could not speak.

An ounce of concern passed through the elf's eyes and he took Elenwë's hand.

Looking slightly worried, he brought his hand to her lips before kissing her.

Elenwë blushed softly and even more so the next moment when Legolas took hold of her lips.

He passed his hand behind the elleth's head, burying his hand in the bright white hair.

She shuddered softly and savored the moment. After a moment, she tenderly responded to the kiss by pressing her lips to his.

When they pulled away, Legolas looked at her lovingly and said:

-I was so afraid for you.

Elenwë looked into his eyes, understanding his anguish of the last few days.

She reached out and placed her hand on Legolas' cheek before finally kissing his cheek.

Legolas smiled and asked his fiancée:

-Would you like something to eat?

Elenwë nodded and Legolas left, saying he would be right back.

Before he returned, Elenwë, still weak, fell asleep again.

When Legolas returned, he smiled, touched by the sight of her.

Her face was serene and happy.

He sat down beside her and soon lost himself in his thoughts.